Attack & Release review by The Black Keys

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
The Black Keys: Attack & Release

This is the newest album from the Black Keys with Danger Mouse helping out their sound and what can I say? It is my personal favourite. Soft bluesy ballads mixed in with songs with explosive riffs that just make you want to get out your guitar and play along. The album's second track, "I Got Mine" is a prime example. It has been stuck in my head for days, going on weeks now. This album has a lot more backup instruments adding even more to their sound. The organ, the banjo, and the piano all play a much larger part then seen in previous albums. I would like to single out the banjo of those instruments, now personally I never really liked that twangy sound but the album's fourth track, "Psychotic Girl" showed me the light, the banjo comes in right away with a catchy little riff and the drums and bass come in. It mixes together to make and awesome track. There is another song, "Remember When(Side B)" that is fast and hooks you right from the start, it's shows the Indie Rock side of the Black Keys. They have so many different sounds on the album that is impossible not to find one that you don't love. Blues to Indie to Thrash Rock, it's got them all.

Lyrics are simple, straight-foward and keep the Black Keys true to their bluesy roots. But that isn't to say that they are lacking in any aspect, they are catchy and creative. "friday night, the party life, you were acting like everything was alright, but later on with no one around had me fighting for air laying on the ground, just a psycotic girl and I won't get lost in your world" Simple and yet effective, and the lyrics seem to fit right into the music smoothly as if the feeling emitted from the lyrics was reflected by the instruments perfectly.

What the Black Keys bring to the table is amazing stuff, with the help of Danger Mouse they have produced a true gem. They are one of the bands that, instead of losing their sound and fading, get better and better and Attack and Release just prooves that. The creativity that flows through this album is so thick and makes it a classic. Overall I think the songs that stand out the mose on the album are "Strange Times", "I Got Mine", and "Psychotic Girl". Each shows a different facet of the Black Keys complex sound. I definitely recommend checking it out if you are a fan of any kind of rock and roll.

adslam3
    im still trying to warm up to this album. i suggest listening to it on imeem.com or something before you buy it. i kind of wish they would go back to recording in their basement. maybe i just had ridiculously high expectations? rest assured, black keys still rock though
    matmcd
    A continuation of their musical genius. Nobody today can do gritty, bluesy rock like them.
    [DookieShoes]
    They deserve to be gods for this... it makes me sad for music that they're not ): but its okay, more for us, right? (:
    kmister
    Seeing as I don't like these guys or that lo-fi guitar sound I find I got Mine and a couple other tracks on this album pretty decent.