Chulahoma review by The Black Keys

• Released: May 2, 2006
The Black Keys: Chulahoma

As per usual when the Black Keys cover a song they make it their own. Though these songs have been moulded slightly to fit the Black Keys groove they still retain much of the blues style the Junior Kimbrough originals. These songs are not as raw as usual Black Keys songs so expect a more subdued feel to this EP. The overall sound of this EP is one of sit back, relax and chill out to beatiful sounds of the delta blues and Auerbach's low howling voice.

These lyrics were not written by Dan Auerbach so expect a few blues cliches but with Dan's voice your hardly notice the lyrics. You tend more to focus on the feeling that pushed through along with his voice and the music. And in doing so it makes listening to this e.p even more enjoyable.

Though not as good as the Black Keys album this is a definte add to the collection.If you though that some of their albums were a bit too loud for your tastes then this mellow EP will suit your needs. The song that I love on this the most would have to be Have Mercy on Me. If this was lost or stolen I would definatly buy it again and in being a EP it's so much cheaper than a full album.

philfie
    since bb king? are you serious? are you telling me you've never heard of anyone else having any influence on the blues. well i gues names like jimi hendrix, buddy guy, albert king, stevie ray vaughan, eric clapton and john mayer have never been touched by your ears
    imgooley
    Amazing. Nuff said. I love the sound that Aurbach is able to get. It's real raunchy and nasty but smooth at the same time. I think that their sound is like a good bourbon. Hot and spicy while being flavorful and smooth at the same time
    DrewMeyer
    Thank you philfie, I don't think a lot of people consider John Mayer to be a very good contribution to blues.