Chulahoma [EP] Review

The Black Keys: Chulahoma [EP]
Release Date: May 2, 2006
Label: Fat Possum
Genres: Punk Blues, Indie Rock, Blues-Rock, Garage Punk
The six songs on this 28-minute EP are hardly replications of Kimbrough's gritty originals, nor do they have the dirty, punch-to-the-gut feel of any of the duo's three proper albums.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.3
 9.4
 9.2
Chulahoma [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2006

Sound: The Black Keys latest release is an EP that covers the songs of Junior Kimbrough. This one is different from their other albums because it has a gloomy feel and more bluesy sound. That doesn't mean this album is worse than their other underappreciated masterpieces. This is yet another reason that this band is the best thing to happen to blues since B.B. King. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit seemlessly with the music and Dan Auerbach's just as good as he has been on their previous three albums. The only problem is that the lyrics are a little generic and typical. You know, the whole typical, "Please don't leave me, baby" stuff. You can tell this is a cover album because the Black Keys write better lyrics than this. // 8

Overall Impression: Honestly you can't compare this band to any others because there just isn't anyone out there who has a similar sound (that I know of). My favorite song on the album is "Have Mercy On Me". The album also has a message from Junior Kimbrough's widow, which I thought was interesting. If some freak accident happened and both my computer and ipod were destroyed I would definatly buy it again. It's one of my favorites. // 9

Chulahoma [EP] Reviewed by: badpun, on june 05, 2007

Sound: As per usual when the Black Keys cover a song they make it their own. Though these songs have been moulded slightly to fit the Black Keys groove they still retain much of the blues style the Junior Kimbrough originals. These songs are not as raw as usual Black Keys songs so expect a more subdued feel to this EP. The overall sound of this EP is one of sit back, relax and chill out to beatiful sounds of the delta blues and Auerbach's low howling voice. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics were not written by Dan Auerbach so expect a few blues cliches but with Dan's voice your hardly notice the lyrics. You tend more to focus on the feeling that pushed through along with his voice and the music. And in doing so it makes listening to this e.p even more enjoyable. // 9

Overall Impression: Though not as good as the Black Keys album this is a definte add to the collection.If you though that some of their albums were a bit too loud for your tastes then this mellow EP will suit your needs. The song that I love on this the most would have to be Have Mercy on Me. If this was lost or stolen I would definatly buy it again and in being a EP it's so much cheaper than a full album. // 10

Comments