Rubber Factory review by The Black Keys

• Released: Sep 7, 2004
The Black Keys: Rubber Factory

The 2-manned band comes back for their 3 full length album in 3 years. Beat that, Metallica. It is the blues with a new edge. But I lied already because it is really Akron, Ohio (that's where they are from. Me too). In the cold, stagnant, droning January cold with "When The Lights Go Out." Then you get to come inside and stand by the fire with "10 AM Automatic." You can forget sitting down because with "Just Couldn't Tie Me Down" and "All Hands Against His Own" you'll dance, all right, don't kid yourself. Go a few more tracks and you'll hit "The Lengths" and you'll chill. There is somemore excitement but you've just been through the experience.

The lyrics are bluesy, e. g. "The Desperate Man" but still fun because Dan Auerbach sounds like an old black man thats been around the block a time or two. The producer, Patrick Carney (also the drummer) and Dan make the words fit right into the music. Just Couldn't Tie Me Down is a perfect example of this.

This album is a nice step in the right direction for the Black Keys. Thickfreakness is excellent but where the Black Keys are going, I'm diggin'. The only thing I don't really like is that towards the end of the album, it's ass drags a bit. Some may disagree or it might be because I always do other stuff while listening. You will like 10 AM Automatic because it is a 'hit' song but if you don't enjoy what you find out of metal, punk or "rock" genres then I wouldn't pick this album up. If you dig blues, indie or Hendrix-like material, I'd grab this. I'd kill for it, how about that?