Rubber Factory review by The Black Keys

• Released: Sep 7, 2004
The Black Keys: Rubber Factory

Whenever I'm asked to explain The Black Keys I say, "garage-rock-blues." And really, that's it. It has the undeniable blues feel, even though they aren't traditional blues at all. They are reminecent of the dirty blues era and are about as dirty as blues gets while still being family friendly. The also use a bunch of distortion, fuzz, sustain, and overdrive effects to give the guitar an edge that few punk or garage bands can match. Yet, through all this, the guitar parts don't sound like pure noise. If you've never heard blues guitar before, you're going to be blown away by these guys. Their guitarist solos in just about every song, but even the riffs themselves are great.

There are 2 problems with this section. The singer's voice is kind of indestinct. I love his voice, it's perfect for blues, but it can be hard to understand. Blues lyrics are rarely the poems that most indie rockers put out today. For blues, his lyrics are spot on, however many of you who go, "I can't like a song with bad lyrics," well, you need to rethink your theory, especially when you listen to this. Music is first in this album, but the singer's voice works perfectly besides.

I love this album. I picked it up cause I wanted to buy a CD but couldn't find anything I wanted. I found this in the store, remembered hearing a song by them and liking it. I bought it and was hooked. If you like blues, you're gonna love this. If you like retro music, you're gonna dig this. I'm a bassist. This duo has no bass. I love it. It has enough low end that you'd never know that there wasn't a bass and it comes together to make a truly impressive album.

BobDole17
    this is the bands best album. i was disappointed in Attack And Release. I guess im just so used to hearing the raw sound, rather than professionally mixed studio album
    samisabig1
    just ordered this on vinyl. i know half the songs, but i hope the other half is just as gd. come on the black keys!