Rubber Factory Review

The Black Keys: Rubber Factory
Released: Sep 7, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Blues-Rock, Garage Punk, Indie Rock
Rubber Factory finds the duo expanding, stretching, and improving, coming into its own as a distinctive, original, thoroughly great rock & roll band.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 1,090
Rubber Factory Reviewed by: Skirvy, on july 30, 2008

Sound: Rubber Factory is the third album by blues-rock duo, The Black Keys. It continues the Black Keys' tradition of raw, heavily blues-influenced indie rock. Rubber Factory was recorded in an abandoned warehouse in the Black Key's hometown of Akron, Ohio; and like previous album Thickfreakness, it was recorded and produced by Patrick Carney. From start to finish, the album does not let down, with the raw guitars making up for the lack of a Bass Guitar. The album sounds very vintage as it was recorded on analogue recording equipment. // 10

Lyrics: Auerbach's raw vocals, suit the raw guitars, and the funky drum rhythms. His vocals tell stories in songs such as Stack Shot Billy which tells the story of when Stack shot Billy! The vocals create a lasting impression that sits with each individual song. // 9

Overall Impression: Rubber Factory is an important album in The Black Keys career, housing some of their most important songs such as 10.A.M Automatic, Stack Shot Billy, Girl Is On My Mind and Till I Get What I Want. I love this album because of the raw, vintage Blues Rock that hasn't been truely seen since the '70s from bands such as Led Zeppelin. If it were lost, I would buy it again in an instant. // 10

Rubber Factory Reviewed by: Parlour-Tricks, on february 01, 2005

Sound: The 2-manned band comes back for their 3 full length album in 3 years. Beat that, Metallica. It is the blues with a new edge. But I lied already because it is really Akron, Ohio (that's where they are from. Me too). In the cold, stagnant, droning January cold with "When The Lights Go Out." Then you get to come inside and stand by the fire with "10 AM Automatic." You can forget sitting down because with "Just Couldn't Tie Me Down" and "All Hands Against His Own" you'll dance, all right, don't kid yourself. Go a few more tracks and you'll hit "The Lengths" and you'll chill. There is somemore excitement but you've just been through the experience. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are bluesy, e. g. "The Desperate Man" but still fun because Dan Auerbach sounds like an old black man thats been around the block a time or two. The producer, Patrick Carney (also the drummer) and Dan make the words fit right into the music. Just Couldn't Tie Me Down is a perfect example of this. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a nice step in the right direction for the Black Keys. Thickfreakness is excellent but where the Black Keys are going, I'm diggin'. The only thing I don't really like is that towards the end of the album, it's ass drags a bit. Some may disagree or it might be because I always do other stuff while listening. You will like 10 AM Automatic because it is a 'hit' song but if you don't enjoy what you find out of metal, punk or "rock" genres then I wouldn't pick this album up. If you dig blues, indie or Hendrix-like material, I'd grab this. I'd kill for it, how about that? // 8

Rubber Factory Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2005

Sound: Whenever I'm asked to explain The Black Keys I say, "garage-rock-blues." And really, that's it. It has the undeniable blues feel, even though they aren't traditional blues at all. They are reminecent of the dirty blues era and are about as dirty as blues gets while still being family friendly. The also use a bunch of distortion, fuzz, sustain, and overdrive effects to give the guitar an edge that few punk or garage bands can match. Yet, through all this, the guitar parts don't sound like pure noise. If you've never heard blues guitar before, you're going to be blown away by these guys. Their guitarist solos in just about every song, but even the riffs themselves are great. // 10

Lyrics: There are 2 problems with this section. The singer's voice is kind of indestinct. I love his voice, it's perfect for blues, but it can be hard to understand. Blues lyrics are rarely the poems that most indie rockers put out today. For blues, his lyrics are spot on, however many of you who go, "I can't like a song with bad lyrics," well, you need to rethink your theory, especially when you listen to this. Music is first in this album, but the singer's voice works perfectly besides. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this album. I picked it up cause I wanted to buy a CD but couldn't find anything I wanted. I found this in the store, remembered hearing a song by them and liking it. I bought it and was hooked. If you like blues, you're gonna love this. If you like retro music, you're gonna dig this. I'm a bassist. This duo has no bass. I love it. It has enough low end that you'd never know that there wasn't a bass and it comes together to make a truly impressive album. // 10

Comments