Thickfreakness review by The Black Keys

• Released: Apr 8, 2003
The Black Keys: Thickfreakness

The Black Keys are a primal, garagey blues band. Think of the White Stripes without timpani or piano, more complicated drumming (no offense to Meg, shes brilliant) and a growly, deep voice. I dont make this comparison as a way of saying the Black Keys are imitations; they are simply not well known enough, which is not becoming to their great talent. The entire album was recorded and produced in a day, yet never feels rushed, keeping a relaxed mood. The drumming recalls Jeremiah Green from Modest Mouse for me, and Auerbachs heavily distorted guitar go easily with his deep vocals.

Auerbachs lyrics are good, mainly dealing with relationships and travelling. The entire album has a travelling mood, sort of a cd to put in on the car in a road trip. However, Dan Auerbach loses ground on Jack White here; Dan gets straight to the point, but Jack's lyrics are simply a class better. His lyrics are best on I Cry Alone; "My girl had a hold on me/so tight that I could not see." The mood of this track is amazing.

Thickfreakness, as well as having awesome cover art, is a very good lo-fi blues record. Personal favourite tracks for me was the opening title track, Hurt Like Mine and the heart-wrenching closer I Cry Alone.

samisabig1
    Killmainstream9
    samisabig1 wrote: mate the black keys are totally different to the white stripes. you cant compare them
    They definitely have similarities, the black keys are better though.