Thickfreakness Review

The Black Keys: Thickfreakness
Release Date: Apr 8, 2003
Label: Fat Possum
Genres: Blues-Rock, Indie Rock, Garage Punk
This sophomore CD leavens their garage blues with enough innovation to keep things interesting, taking full advantage of Dan Auerbach's full-throated growl.
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Thickfreakness Reviewed by: a_rush_of_blood, on december 05, 2005

Sound: The Black Keys are a primal, garagey blues band. Think of the White Stripes without timpani or piano, more complicated drumming (no offense to Meg, shes brilliant) and a growly, deep voice. I dont make this comparison as a way of saying the Black Keys are imitations; they are simply not well known enough, which is not becoming to their great talent. The entire album was recorded and produced in a day, yet never feels rushed, keeping a relaxed mood. The drumming recalls Jeremiah Green from Modest Mouse for me, and Auerbachs heavily distorted guitar go easily with his deep vocals. // 10

Lyrics: Auerbachs lyrics are good, mainly dealing with relationships and travelling. The entire album has a travelling mood, sort of a cd to put in on the car in a road trip. However, Dan Auerbach loses ground on Jack White here; Dan gets straight to the point, but Jack's lyrics are simply a class better. His lyrics are best on I Cry Alone; "My girl had a hold on me/so tight that I could not see." The mood of this track is amazing. // 8

Overall Impression: Thickfreakness, as well as having awesome cover art, is a very good lo-fi blues record. Personal favourite tracks for me was the opening title track, Hurt Like Mine and the heart-wrenching closer I Cry Alone. // 10

Comments