The Black Mages review by The Black Mages

• Released: Feb 19, 2003
The Black Mages: The Black Mages

This is the band of the great Nobuo Uematsu, composer for Square(-Enix)'s hit serie: Final Fantasy! Uematsu arranged himself his songs to make them sound louder, but kept them true to what gamers heard when they played. Even though it's based on game music, non-gamers should enjoy listenning to this CD because, it's simply rocks! The most of the album is lound: 2 guitarists, one bass, a drum, and 2 synths! The guitarists made their homeworks and it shows in their solos as well as when they are playing rythms, some riffs are just killing! On the track 'Those Who Fight Further', you can pretty much imagine Metallica playing, and add 2 synths! The sound is just awesome. For those who played the game, I still have goose-bumps from the song J-E-N-0-V-A. Progs-lovers, you should enjoy this album, there are just no bad song and the synths and a whole new dimension to the album.

Unfortunatly (fortunatly), there are no lyrics, and maybe it's better that way: who wants to hear a Japanese singing anyway? Even though there are no lyrics, the music is as much powerful as any other. Uematsu's synth can pretty much make you feel the emotion, as well as nostalgia.

This album is the best. I'm listening to a lot of genre, from ska with Planet Smashers, to metal with Slipknot, to old school rock with Rush and I'm telling you, this album is one of the best I've ever listened to. I lended it to my friend, a non-gamer, Metallica-addicted and he loved it. This album simply rocks and if you can give it a chance, I'm sure you will like it! This CD is unique in it's genre, and it's a must. Those Who Fight Further, J-E-N-O-V-A, Clash on the Big Bridge are so well done and appealing, you cannot resist them.

chaoticgeek
    Iron Skull wrote: chaoticgeek wrote: I like this and their other one, Skies of Arcadia. I think that is how it is spelled. Its called the skies above, Skies of Arcadia is a dreamcast game. I have both of the albums and they be top.
    Thanks Iron, I knew it was Skies something.
    ROYBaDger
    Surveyor wrote: Nice review, although you failed to acknowledge Tsuyoshi Sekito's contribution entirely.
    And Kenichiro Fukui, the other keyboardist. Sekito is one of the guitarists. Those two were the ones who actually arranged the songs for the first album,
    Surveyor
    keen
    I think that a lot of the reason many are so keen on this is because its the closest thing to power metal they will ever hear.
    FloydHammer666
    This is a step forward for instrumental music. As a member of an instrumental band, people like the black mages are a shining example that not all music is boring with crappy lyrics along the lines of "oooh, I met her on the train/She doesn't love me." I'm talking to you, James Blunt.
    Richnfg
    I love listening to Japanese music with vocals and I don't have a clue how to speak the language.
    hoobariffer87
    Reviewer is a n00b, bu he speaks the the truth (mostly). "who wants to hear a Japanese singing anyway?" Gee, I dunno... people who speak Japanese?
    Shinozoku
    I heard one of the songs form this album, but I gotta get the whole one xD I'll need to look for it at Sonic next time I'm there...
    KsE_Fan220
    gosh, YES!!! Serious gamer here, and I LOVE final fantasy. Also I love everything from metal to acoustic. It's like mixing sweetness of honey, and spice of barbecue, IT JUST WORKS!!!!!
    Dirt Bag Boy
    this is a great album for any FF fans if any1 wants the tab for force your way i found it on a another site its for guitar pro just send me a message and ill post it
    Joe_Wilcox
    This album has been around for ages... Has no one heard of it til now? There is also a second album, but its not quite as classic as the first.
    Iron Skull
    threechordmondt
    Heck yes i own Black Mages and Black Mages-The Skies Above II and they both rock out loud. Plus Im a Final Fantasy loving-guitar playing-Metal head
    chaoticgeek
    Rolamoto
    The only song that they did that sucked was "Otherworld" from FFX.And that was because they were trying to replacate the sound of the original (lyrics and all)
    Raizer Sabre
    there's gonna be a third album released sometime soon, and apparently, it has the dark messenger (the trance kuja battle theme) on it. the black mages are awesome and nobuo uematsu is a god