The Black Mages Review

The Black Mages: The Black Mages
Release Date: Feb 19, 2003
Label: DigiCube
Genres: Progressive Metal
It is not going to be everyones cup of tea. However, it's a soundtrack that every Final Fantasy fan who even mildly likes rock music should have.
 9.7
 9.4
review (1) 26 comments vote for this album:
The Black Mages Reviewed by: Aleks-101, on january 19, 2007

Sound: This is the band of the great Nobuo Uematsu, composer for Square(-Enix)'s hit serie: Final Fantasy! Uematsu arranged himself his songs to make them sound louder, but kept them true to what gamers heard when they played. Even though it's based on game music, non-gamers should enjoy listenning to this CD because, it's simply rocks! The most of the album is lound: 2 guitarists, one bass, a drum, and 2 synths! The guitarists made their homeworks and it shows in their solos as well as when they are playing rythms, some riffs are just killing! On the track 'Those Who Fight Further', you can pretty much imagine Metallica playing, and add 2 synths! The sound is just awesome. For those who played the game, I still have goose-bumps from the song J-E-N-0-V-A. Progs-lovers, you should enjoy this album, there are just no bad song and the synths and a whole new dimension to the album. // 10

Lyrics: Unfortunatly (fortunatly), there are no lyrics, and maybe it's better that way: who wants to hear a Japanese singing anyway? Even though there are no lyrics, the music is as much powerful as any other. Uematsu's synth can pretty much make you feel the emotion, as well as nostalgia. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the best. I'm listening to a lot of genre, from ska with Planet Smashers, to metal with Slipknot, to old school rock with Rush and I'm telling you, this album is one of the best I've ever listened to. I lended it to my friend, a non-gamer, Metallica-addicted and he loved it. This album simply rocks and if you can give it a chance, I'm sure you will like it! This CD is unique in it's genre, and it's a must. Those Who Fight Further, J-E-N-O-V-A, Clash on the Big Bridge are so well done and appealing, you cannot resist them. // 10

Comments