Hope review by The Blackout

• Released: Apr 4, 2011
The Blackout: Hope

The Blackout have changed their sound on this album, it's more uplifting than previous albums. Most people may complain but this is a natural progression for bands to survive (and the same thing gets boring). I would compare the sound of this album towards Lostprophets and some late Funeral For A Friend, which isn't a bad thing but for me it does get in the way of listening to the album. Like the previous reviewer said, the song "Higher & Higher" featuring Hyro Da Hero, has a slight Limp Bizkit feel. No surprise since the band covered My Generation a few years back. Over all, I'm impressed with the sound, a lot of great melodies going on.

The lyrics have a more serious tone than the previous albums and the chemistry between the vocalists Sean Smith & Gavin Butler is as strong as ever. Sean's vocal ability has expanded on this album, he does more clean vocals instead of his usual screamed/raspy vocals. Good examples of this would be the last 3 songs on the album. You're Not Alone, Keep On Moving and The Storm.

It has the aggression of We Are The Dynamite, the sing along melodies of The Best In Town and a whole new level of ambition. Hardcore fans and old fans will be impressed, new fans maybe not so much but I don't know, not a new fan. The most impressive songs for me would be Ambition Is Critical, The Storm and The Devil Inside. I love the album, though cause it reminds me alot of Lostprophets, I have a mixed feelings on it but then again I wasn't a fanof The Best In Town originally, but it grew on me. It was a nice idea for the band to do this album with Pledge music, I think that helped the fans get more of what they want and shows they appreciate their fans as everyone who pledged had their name in the album credits. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be very angry and would definitely buy it again and would have to get it signed...again. Over all, great album for old fans but I think new fans should refer to The Best In Town before treading on Hope.

nicktuckerrr
    I've liked The Blackout since they started releasing music, this album is crap and their last album is crap. I can no longer call myself a fan. - 3/10 Singles + filler.