The Best In Town review by The Blackout

• Released: May 25, 2009
The Blackout: The Best In Town

The Blackout are a welsh "Post-Hardcore" band. The second full length album by the band shows them grow more into their own sound. The riffs are catchy and in my opinion offer more melodic guitar riffs, Which compliment the vocals. Some songs you'll notice the influences of Lostprophets and Fightstar. Good examples of the melodic guitar riffs include the intro to "The Fire" and "Top Of The World".

The lyrics are definantly an improvement than previous albums. The Blackout vocal duties is shared between Sean Smith (screamy vocals) and Gavin Butler (Clean melodic vocals), and from the pre-chorus of the album opener "ShutTheF--kUpperCut" where Sean Smith screams "You can't bring us down, we're the best in town" as well as the breakdown in "Children Of The Night" (and the rest of the album really) you can tell that despite the lyrics may be kinda cheesey, the were written to played live. However the vocalists different style voices makes the lyrical content more interesting.

This album is as good as their previous album and their self titled EP, it might even be stronger as an album as it has no disappoiting songs. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but some of the more radio friendly songs sound alot like Lostprophets but that may be just my opinion. I saw the band live in December 2008, were they played 3 or 4 songs off the new album and as I said about the lyrics, this is an album meant for live performance. I can't pick which songs stand out or are the most impressive because I'm impressed with each song on the album, but if you're new to the band I would recommend listening to "shutthef--kuppercut" or "the fire". Overall this is a band that in the future will probably get more attention, as they are good in the studio and live. I would most likely buy it again should I ever loose the album. Hope this helped.

shooshi123
    I thought its really good! The songs are so individual, maybe a down point for some people, but i think its awesome