The Best In Town Review

artist: The Blackout date: 06/23/2009 category: compact discs
The Blackout: The Best In Town
Released: May 25, 2009 (EUR) / Jun 23, 2009 (USA)
Genre: Post-hardcore
Label: Epitaph
 7.8
 7.5
The Best In Town Reviewed by: JBoy343, on june 23, 2009

Sound: Its a sunny day in North East London and what a great day to check out the new Blackout Album; somewhat pompously titled "The Best in Town". You know when a band has achieved in producing a new album when the sound sounds as though it has developed and progressed, but is still recogniseable as that of the revelent band. This is something I feel the band has definitely achieved with this 10-track effort. Influenced by Bands such as Rage Against the Machine, Lostprophets and Funeral For a Friend, the band has definitely managed to maintain its heavy riffs whilst also including a few more technical riffs from lead guitarist James Davies (heard mainly on tracks such as The Fire and Children of the Night). Despite only being 10 tracks long, their is an apparent consistency in the order of tracks, one that is likely to keep you singing along for hours on end! // 8

Lyrics: Everyone knows The Blackout not to be a particularly serious band, with issues ranging from general lust (Spread Legs Not Lies) to praise of comedians and other entertainers (I'm a Riot You're a Riot - Tribute to Dane Cook). Vocally however, I think The Blackout have come a long way from the 2007 release of "We Are the Dynamite". This is largely due to the majority of the vocal reigns being handed over to Gavin Butler for a good part of the album. Smith still provides harsh and angsty vocals but they often take the back seat to Butler's Clean and Smooth vocal approach. If you're looking for a clean, American-sounding post hardcore record, The Blackout's new effort is definitely worth checking out. // 9

Overall Impression: Even after one listen, it is clear that The Best in Town is a more defined and rounded effort than the mob's debut 18 months previous. Unfortunately for the Blackout, they've chosen a particularly bad year to release their new product. On sale only a week before competitors Taking Back Sunday's new album, followed 2 weeks later by Screamo heroes Enter Shikari, this will undoubtedly affect the sales of The Best In Town. Having listened to all of them however, I would actually rate The Best In Town was the best of 3, but whether fans see this is down to their personal preference. In terms of individual tunes, I would definitely recommend checking out album opener STFUppercut, Save Ourselves (featuring support vocals from Guitarist James Davies), The Fire as well as the first single from the album, Children of the Night. The only negatives I can reluctantly cough up for this album is the fact that it seems to "Die out" as such in the second half. Tracks 1-6 are all equally stunning and energetic, but later on the album seems to unneccessarily lose energy. This is made up for by the closing track "We're going to Hell, So Bring the Sunblock" I feel however, which finishes the album on a particularly strong note. If this album were stolen I would definitely buy it again, as it has a number of tunes worth listening to! // 8

The Best In Town Reviewed by: robbie-rocks, on june 23, 2009

Sound: The Blackout are a welsh "Post-Hardcore" band. The second full length album by the band shows them grow more into their own sound. The riffs are catchy and in my opinion offer more melodic guitar riffs, Which compliment the vocals. Some songs you'll notice the influences of Lostprophets and Fightstar. Good examples of the melodic guitar riffs include the intro to "The Fire" and "Top Of The World". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are definantly an improvement than previous albums. The Blackout vocal duties is shared between Sean Smith (screamy vocals) and Gavin Butler (Clean melodic vocals), and from the pre-chorus of the album opener "ShutTheF--kUpperCut" where Sean Smith screams "You can't bring us down, we're the best in town" as well as the breakdown in "Children Of The Night" (and the rest of the album really) you can tell that despite the lyrics may be kinda cheesey, the were written to played live. However the vocalists different style voices makes the lyrical content more interesting. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is as good as their previous album and their self titled EP, it might even be stronger as an album as it has no disappoiting songs. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but some of the more radio friendly songs sound alot like Lostprophets but that may be just my opinion. I saw the band live in December 2008, were they played 3 or 4 songs off the new album and as I said about the lyrics, this is an album meant for live performance. I can't pick which songs stand out or are the most impressive because I'm impressed with each song on the album, but if you're new to the band I would recommend listening to "shutthef--kuppercut" or "the fire". Overall this is a band that in the future will probably get more attention, as they are good in the studio and live. I would most likely buy it again should I ever loose the album. Hope this helped. // 8

Comments