We Are The Dynamite review by The Blackout

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
The Blackout: We Are The Dynamite

The Blackout are a post-hardcore band from Wales. One thing unique about the band is that there are two lead vocalists which makes the music faster paced than would normally be possible. Sean Smith delives much of the screaming whereas Gavin Butler has a much more romantic pop voice. The Blackout can write a killer riff, most of the songs are very catchy however there are often the heavy palm muted screamo breakdowns shaperoning the pop edge. Influences such as Lostprophets, (namely Their Earlier work) and Silverstein can be heard in the music however The Blackout are actually quite individual in the rather sterile music scene. It's may be interesting to know that Ian Watkims of Lostprophets features on the track 'It's High Tide Baby.'

The lyrics and themes in the album are what you would expect from a young group of boys like the Blackout. Lyrics such as 'I wanna taste those lips, why don't you shake those hips' and 'Do I stop or just carry on? will you ever take it all?' are just some examples of many sexually orientated lyrics. This is even evident in the song names; 'Spread Legs Not Lies' a slightly less subtle example than 'She is Macho.' Although at first these lyrics can be exciteing, they eventually get rather tiring and the slightly more sopisticated 'Life and Death in Space' is a breath of fresh air from the 'horny' lyrics. For immature 14 year old boys (guilty as charged)the shock factor of the lyrics are entertaining, however I imagine a more mature listener would expect something a little more emotional. Despite this, Sean and Gavin deliver the vocals in a interesting varied way, making up for the words with their voices.

This is an album that has very few poor songs which is rare in the mainstream market. Having listened to the singles (The Beijing Cocktail, It's High Tide Baby) and then the other heavyweights of the album (I've Got Better Things To Do, Spread Legs Not Lies, I Know You Are But What Am I?) the tail enders of the album still hold their own, and this is what I like about the album, it's not a top-heavy CD with the three singles tracks no. 1, 2 and 3. If you're looking to download just a few songs then the one's I mentioned above would be what I reccomend, although if you're already a fan of the band then buying the album would definately not be a mistake.