We Are The Dynamite review by The Blackout

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
The Blackout: We Are The Dynamite

I am a self-proclaimed metal music fan; bands such as Slipknot, a nine piece nu- metal group and Atreyu, a screamo band are in my regular listening choices. My friend had recently bought an album from his favourite band, The Blackout. I knew that this band had toured with Lost Prophets, who to be honest I find an absolute bore with their fake lyrics and keyboards. Being quite the sceptic I listened to this album with low expectations. My morning regime of a 5-stop train journey and walk from the station to school allowed me to listen to the whole album in one go. The opening song, 'Tick Tick BOOM! ' surprised me with the repeated lyrics 'We are the Dynamite! ' building to a scream. This song is regularly played as the opening to a live set as it builds the crowd's expectations of the band. The song seamlessly ends with the second song, 'I've Got Better Things To Do Tonight Than Die' entering with a 'hooky' riff. This combination of metal sounding guitars and classic double bass pedal are the recipe for mosh inciting and 'walls of death' which are commonplace activities for metal lovers such as me at gigs.

A change to the distorted versions of lyrics and obscenities from my usual play list, I was pleasantly surprised that I could fully understand the lyrics but the screaming which is very much associated with metal music remained however, not as a leading feature. The lyrics are about feelings of anger, love deprivation and angst that most teenage listeners can relate to. To begin with I was confused how this band would play live because the two voices that can be heard are both leading parts. Making a guitarist sing a lead line as well as play guitar is a feat that appears near to impossible. However, on one of my regular visits to YouTube I looked at some of the bands live performances I noticed that two singers were present on stage.

This unusual line up of two singers allows an aural experience which no other band in my knowledge can match. The talent of the band doesn't just end there. The same friend who lent me the CD saw the band live at the 'Give It A Name' festival in May and said the atmosphere could have been cut with a knife and that the whole of the band's set was impeccable. Apparently, it was blatantly obvious all the festival-goers were there for one reason. This band. One criticism of the band is that all the songs are quite similar which may bore some listeners but I find that the pure talent of the band makes up for this completely. At the beginning of the band's career they were known for touring with Lost Prophets in 2006. Since then the band have risen to have people support them and be headliners in many festivals on the main stage rather than a dingy tent in a random field. This band has risen to the top but much more can be. With a new album 'Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die' due for release in October 2008 the band have a huge future ahead of them. Currently on tour in Eastern Europe the band are making tracks further and further a field from their hometown in Wales. This album highlights the bands improvement as musicians because the complexity to the songs is much higher than that of their first mini album. 'The Blackout! The Blackout! The Blackout! ' With any luck the new album will allow the band to travel further to areas such as America to get their rightfully deserved place right at the top.

Rickmassacre
    One Of My Favorite Album Every Song Is Amazing In My View Ive Seen Them Live When They Did The Tour For This Album It Was Amazing, I Love them so much i am seeing them again with support acts such as escpae the fate from first to last and the medic droid
    Diyora-x
    My favouite album They are Amazing Live, Amazing on Records, whats not to love ?