Heat Fetish review by The Bled

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
The Bled: Heat Fetish

Like Every Time I Die's crunchy, somewhat tightly wound metalcore? Then there's absolutely no reason you won't dive right into The Bled's hot and sweaty Heat Fetish and emerge from the wreckage happy that you did. The album is unabashedly in your face; it comes on strong out of the gate, as though the band hasn't been flying a wee bit under the scene's radar over the past few years; they last released an album in 2007 with Silent Treatment. They boast an almost entirely new lineup, with vocalist James Munoz and guitarist Jeremy Ray Talley being the only long-term members of the band that have been in the band since before 2009. Despite the line up shifts and having to recruit several new members to replace departing ones, which is always a stressful experience for a band, as influences, actual playing an chemistry changes as the players do, The Bled and Heat Fetish kick a whole world of ass. Mouthbreather and Running Through Walls move with urgency and intensity, as if the members of The Bled won't survive unless these songs fall out of them. The album certainly is not reinventing the metalcore wheel, but regardless, it's a decent entry into the metalcore marketplace, one that's worthy of a listen to while pumping iron or moving on a treadmill. Need New Conspirators is a bit slower and gloomier than the rest of the record, but it stands on its own.

There's an infectious and addictive singalong on Devolver that has a harmony I can't shake every single time I listen to it. Screamer Munoz tosses of an impassioned delivery and he doesn't attempt much of a clean style, which is often a hallmark of bands like The Bled. He's very much like Every Time I Die's Keith Buckley in the way he uses his instrument. He lets out some vicious roars on Smoke Breaks and most of his lyrical declarations are discernable, as he doesn't employ too much of an un-understandable growl. When he screams about needing something to believe, we want to believe, too.

Metalcore is on the decline, so to speak. While it's still a healthy scene, there aren't as many bands being pumped out as there were in, say, 2007. But The Bled always had some sort of coolness that allowed them to stand out from the pack and Heat Fetish finds the band still in fine form. Old fans will dig this, as will new ones. It's good to see that the band didn't give up when the going got tough and it sounds like they channeled that into Heat Fetish.

!normajean!
    I just got into The Bled. This is the only album I've heard from them so I really can't compare it to their older stuff. But it's pretty awesome.
    kiranb13
    Honky wrote: The dude looks like Syid from Lost!!!
    yeah he does, but other than that, i love this album, I'm a big fan of this band although you can tell theres different musicians in the making of it. I personally liked silent treatment better.. asleep on the frontlines FTW
    Kwonnie
    Honky wrote: The dude looks like Syid from Lost!!!
    I thought I was the only one who saw Sayid on the front page of UG lmao.
    Viciousgray
    Coming from a guitar site I'm surprised Every time I Die's music would be compared to Bled. Maybe they SOUND similar, but technically the guitar work and drumming destroy ETID. Keith Buckley writes some badass lyrics though. Honestly though, if metalcore were more appreciated those sevens would be eights. If you're into this kind of music this album is a necessity.
    a7xb4d
    kiranb13 wrote: Boxiii wrote: This is the best thing since Pass The Flask. For you new Bled listeners, get PTF, it's seriously one of the best albums ever. thats album is the best of em all... i think everyone should have it on their ipod...
    i disagree. Silent Treatment was freakin amazing. I had no idea they had released a new album wtf
    reptar87
    @ Thrash.aholic: mathcore is like metalcore but with more technical time signatures and syncopated guitars. check out dillinger escape plan or norma jean
    JacobLampman
    The guy in the picture of this on the front page looks like the guy that does those "How to play songs from Guitar Hero/Rock Band" things.
    dirtydeeds123
    Metalcore is on the decline? Please tell me this is true? Can anyone else confirm this? I haven't kept up with what's popular anymore.
    kiranb13
    EpiExplorer
    Honky wrote: The dude looks like Syid from Lost!!!
    He actually looks like Sacha Baron Cohen (Ie, Borat). And no, I dont like Every time I die, but mathcore can be fun.. o.o
    JosVD
    Actually I hate Every Time I Die, seen them live 3 times and by far the worst band! This band is way Better!
    JosVD
    I love this CD! I have been really into this album and I am convienced there is some sort of a faith based message in the lyrics. Need New Conspirators is my favorite song and is a good example of a faith based message(every once in a while he swears in the album), but if anyone here listens to this album with a faith based message at thought....it's very possible The Bled are almost a Christian band.
    newageweirdo
    a band that suffers from that genre crap. where everyone that decides to make a new genre to try and describe the only two bands that fit in it. just listen ppl. if you like ruckus, if you like heavy stuff. this is your band. they will rock your shit hard. and break your toilet. haha
    Space frog
    From what I heard so far it's amazing. But it's still not out in Canada. It's been a month and a half since it's out in US but I'm still waiting for it to be available here. I'm getting pissed > I hope it sounds a lot like Silent Treatment.
    Boxiii
    pnkhrdwndr
    I haven't really listened to their previous releases but I do own them. This cd though is some good good stuff
    newageweirdo
    normajean you should check there older stuff too. The BLED is a good band. you wont get anything close to them. its hectic but has a special flow to it.