Silent Treatment review by The Bled

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
The Bled: Silent Treatment

To actually talk about my review, I want to begin with a solid opening statement. I have steadily (and by steadily I mean on a regular basis) been listening to The Bled for close to 4 years. And let me just say that they are def one of my top favorite bands. Their newest record "The Silent Treatment" has a lot to offer when it comes to the music. While a lot of people I have discussed the older Bled CD (Pass the Flask) with have said that it was just another screamo band, I find them to be very wrong. The Bled hails from Tuscon Arizona, which as you can imagine has a pretty dead music scene as far as Hardcore/Metal bands go. And though the Bled is the furthest thing from a "metal" band, you wouldn't know it by their fan base. The Bled has had an impact/influence on almost all metal/hardcore bands I've seen coming out of any state today. The new record however, is a little different than what your average Bled listener is use to. While still delivering their brutal breakdowns, and passionate chords, they are beginning to go back into some of their roots and play some old school sounding stuff. The new record has a lot of PunkHardcore influence in it. As you can tell by listening, they haven't completely changed genres since Pass the Flask, or Found in The Flood (which is a story all on it's own and I plan on reviewing in another point in time) they have switched the sound up a tad bit. While listening to the new Bled record, you might think to yourself, Botch, Breather Resist, Gallows, or possibly even the more punk directed bands. While still making sure that his screams, and spoken word is still going the right way, vocalist James (I can't spell his last name and don't feel like looking it up) has also begin to sing more. And yes, most readers will say "Well he actually began to sing on Found in the Flood. Which is true, on Pass the Flask there were few singing parts, and more of a raspy yell, mixed in with his spine tingling screams. Found in the Flood, was a complete 180 vocally. He did keep his screams, but also started to explore the world of actually singing. I have listened to a lot of opinions about FITF and a good percentage of them have been negative. Myself, I think the record is great, and was just a little different because they were trying to defy a new genre, but still keep it the same (if that makes sense). The new record however, is a pretty solid mixture of both. With beautiful singing parts, more structed songs, and still glass shattering heavy parts, the Bled has redone with they did with PTF. I would DEF recommend checking this CD out, (if you already haven't) and be sure to also watch the Music videos, because like always, they are very interesting, and usually follow up with some deep thinking after watching.

The Lyrics to this CD are absolutely great. Before writing this interview, I was sure to look up every one of the songs and get the lyrics right, before posting any opinion. Just like the old Bled CDs the lyrics are passionate, dark, and beautiful all at once. Also, the lyrics can give an impression of different emotions. Some release thoughts that are angry, and morbid, while others are gorgeous, and leave you speechless. Not much different from the other CD's however. Anyone who likes the Bled will admit that their vocalist has a way with words, and is definetly a talented lyricist. But they will also agree, that the words are very simple, not too many complicated, and hard to understand through screaming words.

Overall, I would give the new album an 8 out of 10. I have to say that out of all 3, Pass the Flask will always be my favorite. A CD that I can listen to all the way through, and not have to skip any tracks, I don't feel I can do that with every song on either of the new CDs. However, I do find myself shuffling through a lot more on FITF than I do the Silent Treatment. As I stated before, I would highly recommend giving this CD a listen. And if you've never heard of the Bled, I would look into their older albums first, start with PTF, and than just go in order.

hopespaul
    this cd is ok, but i think it's a step in the wrong direction. sure, pass the flask was great, but that was 5 years ago (maybe more). bands mature, and found in the flood showed it. i was a little dissapointed with this release, it seemed almost synthetic at times, which cannot be said of pass the flask or found in the flood
    JeffyisLegend
    I wrote the second Review, just to let everyone know, I don't know why it says "unregistered"