Anchors Aweigh Review

The Bouncing Souls: Anchors Aweigh
Release Date: Aug 26, 2003
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
Though they hit as hard as ever, the Bouncing Souls broaden their impact on Anchors Aweigh.
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Anchors Aweigh Reviewed by: YourMessiah666, on july 04, 2007

Sound: I am surprised to be the first to do a review for this album, but I am quite delighted. Anyways, The Bouncing Souls is a punk band, and this album clearly shows their ability to rock out. A lot of the songs are upbeat, and energetic, while a few are mellower. As every great CD is. Unfortunately, this album is not very original in the punk genre. Their stuff is definitely thier own, but a lot of it sounds similar to bands like Rancid or Aggression. // 9

Lyrics: Your average punk lyrics. Except, with a Bouncing Souls twist, so a lot of the songs have repetition of intros and such. Which I think adds a whole new dimension to the playing. The vocals for the band fit perfectly to the music, a few ooo's and ahhh's here and there make it stand out from other punk vocalists. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Apartment 5F - very good introductory song. Catchy chorus, nice bass intro, and great vocals. 02. Kids And Heroes - the first of the slower type songs, and damn is it a good one?! Another very catchy punk song. And meaningful lyrics! 03. New Day - I would say, this song greatly implies The Bouncing Souls as a punk band. It is one of the best songs on the album. Really highlights their songwriting and playing abilities. 04. Sing Along Forever - one of their most well-known tracks off of this CD, and a mighty good one. Nice little guitar solo, and lyrics that everyone on this site can relate to. 05. Born Free - a mediocre song, more of your average punk song. 'Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees' lyrics to live by. 06. Inside Out - great song. Easy to play too, lots of small town bands should be apart of this song. Very good. 07. Simple Man - another song that exemplifies The Bouncing Soulds, a lot of 'whoas' a great bass line, and kick ass guitar. One of my favorite on the whole album. 08. Better Days - my favorite song off the album. A must listen to track for any Bouncing Souls fan, if you haven't heard it already of course. Amazing vocals. 09. Night Train - the most emotional/slowest song on the CD, and a very good one. You don't hear much slow punk songs, but this one is great. 10. Todd's Song - this song is about the bands friend Todd who killed himself. Good song, another slow one, and another good one. 11. Blind Date - average punk intro, average punk drum line, average punk song. 12. Highway Kings - a really up-beat song, very catchy. Not so great lyrics, but still pretty darn good for punk eh?! 13. Anchors Aweigh - title track, and a damn good one! A sweeet bass intro, the guitar comes in, and the guitar doesn't really add anything. 14. I Get Lost - another great tune to play with a band. Overall excellent, one of the best on the album I think. 15. The Day I Turned My Back On You - the guitar solo adds another dimension to this track, it really brings it alive. Either than the solo, it's pretty average. 16. I'm From There - great song to end it off. The best way to end this CD I think. This album has a hidden track, which is absolutely amazing. An acoustic campfire song almost. You can actually hear the fire crackle in the background. All in all, great album. I would reccommend it to any punk fan, especially to those who like The Bouncing Souls already, and if not, this album will make you become a fan. If it was stolen, I would buy another copy. Go and get yourself a copy! // 10

Comments