Comet review by The Bouncing Souls

• Released: Jun 12, 2012
The Bouncing Souls: Comet

The Bouncing Souls continues their style of music seen in previous years. However, some of the songs, such as "Static", do not sound like Greg is singing them. I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying they sound different. I'm usually a fan of just straight up punk, but The Bouncing Souls music was one of the few exceptions. Their melodic riffs and singing resembles the days of "Anchors Aweigh".

The Bouncing Souls lyrics have always been good, and this album is no exception. I found one problem with the album is that certain songs seemed to have originally been 2:00 long, but they stretched them to about 5:00. The main song I'm talking about is "Comet" itself. Yes it's a good song, but after about three minutes it gets redundant. Greg's singing is always good, and hard to come by in the punk world.

My main music interests include bands like Rancid and NOFX (which both plan to release new albums this year). Although they do not sound like The Bouncing Souls, the Souls came through on this album. The best songs from the album are probably "Baptized", "Fast Times", and "DFA". "Baptized" is a good album ener and it sets the energy for the album. "Fast Times" has a laid back tone with a punchy bass line. "DFA" again just shows the energy put into the album. There were two negative things I found about the album. The first is that it was only ten songs. If they held the album back another month or two I'm sure they could have produced about two or more quality songs. The second problem, not really a problem but a suggestion, is the artwork in the album itself. It came with a newspaper article about DFA and comets. In today's age, pele need a reason to buy an album, and not download it. Other albums came with posters and other artwork. This is the areas I was disappointed. But overall, the album proved to be a keeper for me.

brnbasler
    In today's age, pele need a reason to buy an album, and not download it. I realize the author meant to say people here, but it is kind of hilarious to think that Pele, the soccer star, is using his name in the third person while using broken English in the same sentence.
    swave75
    Yeah I hate it when bands you really like don't include something cool about their art design in their cd. Good review.
    Somerandomguy95
    @brnbasler Nice catch haha. The thing that bothers me now is that my spellcheck didn't pick up pele.