How I Spent My Summer Vacation Review

The Bouncing Souls: How I Spent My Summer Vacation
Release Date: May 22, 2001
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop, American Underground, Hardcore Punk
There are no answers to be found, just a reflection of ordinary life's adventures, and if the band has a philosophy, it's to enjoy it to the hilt.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
How I Spent My Summer Vacation Reviewed by: hardrock1315, on august 14, 2006

Sound: This album just simply sounds great. The production is perfect, the instruments sound awesome, and everything is just how it should be. Every single song is great. The only problem is that many of them sound very similar, which is why I gave it a 9 instead of 10. But besides that, this album just sounds great. It's pop-punk, but it has more in common with the Dropkick Murphys or the Ramones than Fallout Boy. They've been around for quite a while (since 1987), but they still made great music in 2001, and their new stuff is consistently good. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics go with the music perfectly. They pretty much all deal with relationships, from the buddies in "Manthem" and "True Believers" to girlfriends in "Better Life" and "Break-up Song". They're good lyrics too, they don't just go with the music, and they have catchy hooks that you'll always remember. Their singer isn't technically great, but he sounds really cool, and he's perfect for the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is, in my opinion, the Bouncing Souls' best album. It's just so great, every song is awesome. However, the song that stood out in front of all the others was "True Believers", one of my favorite songs from any band. That being said, there is no song on the CD that comes close to being bad. I used to listen to this album every day at work. If it were stolen or lost, I'd run as fast as I could to go get another one. // 10

Comments