In Waking: Divinity review by The Breathing Process

• Released: Jan 21, 2008
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
The Breathing Process: In Waking: Divinity

First let me say, I am sad to see that this site doesn't know about this band. The Breathing Process is awesome. Their sound is intense. They are death metal, but they take it to a new sound level. Their double bass is incredible. You have to hear it to experience it. It is hard, loud, and extremely fast most of the time. The album is primarily driven by distorted rhythm guitar, double bass drums, and some mild keyboard work. Some may get bored after the first listen cause their are not many lead parts, and only one or two solos in the whole album. However, if you can get past that; this album is a treasure.

The lyrics are enjoyable. They take inspiration from bands like Dimmu Borgir and the usual Satanic themes present in metal. However, they use those themes more as metephors (instead of literal meanings like Dimmu Borgir-esque lyrics). Lyrics like in Dear Antigone have cryptic meanings: "You watch me fall over and over again. You watch me burn alive at the stake. At the stake, swaying. Wake, so now I may kill you once more. Wake, so now I may taste you once more. Wake now, my love. My dearest love of all, that has become the obsession of the obsessor." The lyrics are good, no doubt. The lyrics go with the music perfectly, and the singer has amazing talent. His death screams are amazing. Relentless actually. Only during the song Prey does the band lighten up at all for a few lines to yell (not scream) a few lyrics (making it sound kind of like an anthem song, but a cool one! ).

Overall, this album is incredible. It was the first death metal album I bought with money (duh). I bought it as a pre-order for 15 bucks and got one of their shirts (which are amazing, the one with the trachea and lungs coming out of the guys mouth). My favorite songs are Prey, In Waking; Divinity, and Somnium. I don't really hate anything about this album, there's nothing to hate. And I probably wouldn't buy it again only because I don't have a lot of money and like finding new music; however, conceptually I would because it's good enough.