The Bronx [LP] review by The Bronx

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
The Bronx: The Bronx [LP]

Imagine The Hives, but way, way better, and with more punk. You'd get something sounding pretty similar to The Bronx. Each song is played with unrivaled passion and speed, and is as raw as you can get (I think they restricted themselves to about three live takes per song - it shows). It's a great sound, not heavy, but aggressive. I've rarely heard anything like this before. There's not too much distortion, and absolutely no uneccessary effects, which would ruin this album. With The Bronx, it's all about the music, and this is such a great end product that I can't help but it give it full marks.

The lyrics (those you can make out) are actually really good, which is a bonus. Some of them don't make a large amout of sense, but the amazing vocals through which they are given life means that each and every word sounds a hundred times better than it looks on paper. The vocals are predominantly made up of screams and shouts, with the occasional patch of singing. It's not howling like Atreyu or Slipknot, more like the screams/shouts in The Hives, which adds to the raw feeling. The lyrics are simple but good. Key lines: "I don't know where I should begin. My scars have over-run my skin"..."I'm done. There is no revolution"

Overall, this is an amazing album, and one that I would recommend to any fans of hardcore or punk. The most impressive songs are "Heart Attack American", "I Got Chills", "Notice of Eviction", "White Tar" and "False Alarm". I like they way in which it is so stripped down and basic, but still a great album - I bought it a couple of months ago and it's steadily spending more and more time in my CD player. If you've seen Lostprophets on tour recently, you'll have seen The Bronx opening, which shows the direction in which theyre headed - for big things.