The Bronx [LP] Review

9.5
 9.3
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Bronx [LP] Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on march 19, 2004

Sound: Imagine The Hives, but way, way better, and with more punk. You'd get something sounding pretty similar to The Bronx. Each song is played with unrivaled passion and speed, and is as raw as you can get (I think they restricted themselves to about three live takes per song - it shows). It's a great sound, not heavy, but aggressive. I've rarely heard anything like this before. There's not too much distortion, and absolutely no uneccessary effects, which would ruin this album. With The Bronx, it's all about the music, and this is such a great end product that I can't help but it give it full marks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics (those you can make out) are actually really good, which is a bonus. Some of them don't make a large amout of sense, but the amazing vocals through which they are given life means that each and every word sounds a hundred times better than it looks on paper. The vocals are predominantly made up of screams and shouts, with the occasional patch of singing. It's not howling like Atreyu or Slipknot, more like the screams/shouts in The Hives, which adds to the raw feeling. The lyrics are simple but good. Key lines: "I don't know where I should begin. My scars have over-run my skin"..."I'm done. There is no revolution" // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an amazing album, and one that I would recommend to any fans of hardcore or punk. The most impressive songs are "Heart Attack American", "I Got Chills", "Notice of Eviction", "White Tar" and "False Alarm". I like they way in which it is so stripped down and basic, but still a great album - I bought it a couple of months ago and it's steadily spending more and more time in my CD player. If you've seen Lostprophets on tour recently, you'll have seen The Bronx opening, which shows the direction in which theyre headed - for big things. // 10

The Bronx [LP] Reviewed by: Jim Danzig, on march 23, 2004

Sound: So The Bronx debut album has finally hit the high streets. From the star this album kicks in with a spine tingling guitar riff that sets the mood perfectly for the album. The sound on this album is gritty, and rough dew to it being recorded live with no editing. This is true music, this is what you get when you see them live, and this is what you get when you listen to them on cd. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are about their experiances in life, and life in general. These guys are angry and it shows. Singing about people they were close to being shot dead in front of their own eyes. Very personal, but very honest. Vocalist Matt Caughthran has a vry powerful an unique voice. It hows in every one of the songs on this album. Very talanted. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very close to sounding like most 70's punk bands. except that The Bronx dont sound like anyone else in the music worl, with unique sounding songs, this should be a very successful album. From Matt Caughthran screaming roar of a voice to Joby J Fords loud, gritty guitar riffs not to mention James Tweedys bass playing and Jorma Viks pounding drum beats, this is punk through and through. If you love punk, here it is love it or hate it. // 10

The Bronx [LP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 28, 2004

Sound: The only way to describe this record is an assult of sound, bombarding you with the raw vocals that are sung with so much emotion you can't help but get into it. The drum beats are so intense you can almost feel your heart pounding twice as fast just to keep up. The guitars are perfect, not too grungy, not too clean, and just good old power chords to keep it going. The bass basically just follows the guitar, but gets its time to shine in the last song "The Strobe Life." Like I said, its almost impossible to describe untill you hear it for yourself. // 10

Lyrics: The howling of singer Matt Caughthran is what helps make this album so unique. On first impression he sounds like the most pissed off person with a microphone you can find, and once you read the lyrics, you'll certainly know why. It covers everything from ODs, drug addiction, trying to stop the bleeding from a gunshot victim and shows you their Los Angeles, not the glitz and glamour. // 10

Overall Impression: The Bronx are a breath of fresh air in this day and age of the same old music played again and again. Its pure emotion. You can hear the blood, sweat, tears, and drugs in this album. I would absolutely buy this album again in a heartbeat. Hope you Enjoy. // 10

Comments