17 Dead And Counting Review

artist: The Bullet Never Lies date: 06/12/2006 category: compact discs
The Bullet Never Lies: 17 Dead And Counting
Release Date: 2006
Genres: Rock
17 Dead And Counting is a 7 tracks EP of intense metal that will have everyone starting slam pits in their living room!
 9.1
 8.3
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
17 Dead And Counting Reviewed by: outside.ice, on june 12, 2006

Sound: The Bullet Never Lies; you've probably never heard of them before, but thanks to me, now you have. I live in Australia, and near where I live there is an underground hardcore music scene, and local "hardcore" bands play for a small amount of money. These gigs can get very crazy, there is probably only at the maximum, 200 people at these concerts, but it goes, in one word, insane. Instead of mosh pits there are "two-stepping" pits. For those who don't know, two stepping is like breakdancing, but 300 times more violent. So when various bands have "breakdowns" in the song the two steppers punch and kick and flail wildly into the crowd, it is crazy. Now just the other week I was at a gig and a band I had never seen before came on, this band was "The Bullet Never Lies". As soon as I heard them, I loved them and I was right into it. After the band had played their set, I noticed they were selling an EP that they had recorded with a local Record company "Melbourne Records". The sound is metalcore, with harmony choruses in some of their songs, but I don't think I've ever heard anything like them, eventhough they are a hardcore band they are indeed very different. // 8

Lyrics: Like many hardcore/metalcore songs, the lyrics do not always rhyme, but just because the lyrics don't rhyme does not mean that the songs are bad, the lyrics mesh together with the music like clockwork. The band has a "screamer" who sings with the throaty, gutteral, hardcore voice, and they have a guitarist who sings the harmony parts in the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: The Bullet Never Lies will remind fans of hardcore to bands like parkway drive sometimes, and sometimes to bands like Atreyu or As I Lay Dying. The bullet never lies mixes different types of hardcore and metalcore together to get a very unique sound. The most impressive song on the EP is "If You Want Your Heart Back, You've Gotta Pry It From My Cold Dead Fingers", its fast and brutal, and calm and quiet, its an incredible song. I love the band, the way they put there songs together, their incredible live performance and there sheer talent, but one thing that I don't quiet "get" is the weird names of their songs and how different, I think they are to the lyrics themselves. If this was stolen or lost, I'd go back and buy another one because this band is f--cking amazing! // 9

Comments