Final Conversation Of Kings review by The Butterfly Effect

• Released: Sep 20, 2008
The Butterfly Effect: Final Conversation Of Kings

With the 2006 release of Imago, The Butterfly Effect knew what it felt like to be in the spotlight. The album hit Number 2 on the ARIA Album Charts and sold over 35, 000 copies, making the album gold status. After the next 2 years of hard touring, the band has released it's new CD titled The Final Conversation of Kings. From past albums The Butterfly Effect's sound has changed, from the nu-metal genre to hard-rock and now possibly just rock. But this band doesn't belong in a genre because no other band have a unique sound so far like they do. The band has moved from the passionate sound from Imago to the new more mainstream sound in Final Conversation of Kings. The band has matured from it's debut album in 2003 titled Begins Here. This is also the first time we have heard trumpets in their music, which shows maturity as a band. Some songs sound similar to songs from their previous album Imago, which is the perfect mixture between metal and rock.

The lyrics on the album compare to their previous album Imago. The passion Clint puts into his singing is amazing. Any lyrics could sound good when Clint sings it. His soft, fragile voice leaves the listener guessing whether he will roar in the chorus or stick to his quiet-self. The artwork and theme of the album suits the lyrical structure of each song. We can also hear maturing in Clint's vocals and lyrics. Just put on the music and listen in awe to his gentle voice.

In my opinion, The Butterfly Effect is a one of a kind band. Their unique take on rock makes the band stand alone. The CD booklet full of lyrics and artwork relating the 'King' theme is a bonus. Like their other albums, you would have to listen to the album a couple of times and sooner or later it will grow on you. All the songs blend in together to make this album a very impressive third album from a very hardworking Australian band. Songs like Worlds on Fire and Window and the Watcher do stand out, but no songs sound different and break their sound genre. Final Conversation of Kings is a good album from the band and shows maturity in their music direction. Worth buying and listening to.

effected89
    haha sorry i was in a bad mood..and yes i do listen to dream theater and many more 'technically' better bands...but i still think that no other band sounds like the butterfly effect, and clint's voice is on of the best in modern music
    Wall_of_sound
    viridianband88 wrote: Wall_of_sound...think about this...Tool might sound amazing but have u heard any interviews with danny carey? he openly admits that he's a crap drummer and before every gig or recording he resorts to black arts and summons a demon of music to posess him so he can play well. thats y they sound good, they have no musical talent at all, they are jus all messed up junkies who are into black magic. The Butterfly Effect are 100 times the band Tool are.
    I summon demons all the time and I still can't play for sh*t!! Haha just jokin but I think the whole demon thing with Tool is just to scare people a little bit...just to seem a little more dark than the next band. Freaks people out. Black Metal is wayyy more evil, and sells nowhere near the amount of music that Tool does...put together. Mayhem or Burzum ring a bell?? Fcok still has not grown on me one bit...
    PoP N FresH
    ibanez_guru wrote: Begins here was sensational. Imago was not bad. Final Conversation of Kings is poor. Very Poor. I cant believe the direction they took. Thats my opinion by the way. Im not bashin anyoneone that likes this album. It just doesnt compare to the first 2 albums.
    yea you're clearly the pick of the reviewers hey. first album was good, raw emotional....imago was refined, mature, and this is another step towards maturity through exploration of sonic landcapes. if you think its not thier best....go and see them live....honestly the new tracks were amazing live and its clear that was the intention going into the album, to make music that takes flight when played for an audience. vocals are stunning on the new album and even better in person. its a solid album, but i personally like imago better.
    viridianband88
    planktonfighter
    It's weird, I think what it all comes down to is if the style of music in the album is what you are most comfortable with/favor, depends on how well you receive the album. This album did remind me of muse in certain places which is another band I like so I welcomed this album, it's great. Not really sure what I'm going on about.... Anyway The guitar on "In These Hands" is top notch & "The Window Watcher" is my pic of the album. I love the sound of the guitar on this track.
    Riff Licker
    I quite liked the new album, sure it was different, but every band does new things, and they aren't abandoning their old fans, they shouldn't have to keep fans, people who truly respect their music would listen to it and get where it's coming from, it's not another IMAGO, which did disappoint me at the time, and its no Begins Here, which I adored, it's a new sound, a new album, and one that shows that they aren't afraid to try new things or change their sound, it is still The Butterfly Effect, and it's still listenable and enjoyable.... My two cents.
    Wall_of_sound
    I LOVE diversity in music, in fact i'll go as far as saying I don't like it when a band brings out an album that sounds the same as the last. I actually like the fact that they have matured their sound, but they have just written crap songs with this album, in my opinion. They have still kept their core Butterfly Effect sound with this album, but without the intensity (and intensity does not necessarily mean heavy). They just sound like any old generic alternative rock band with this album. Look, they can produce any album they want to but putting out an album like this just makes them blend in with the any of the other current crop of rock artists. They're not obliged write an album that everybody likes. They probably personally love it? and effected89, if you want true musicianship go listen to Beethoven or Dream Theatre. The Butterfly Effect are just a rock band.... ...and Tool albums/songs DO sound pretty much the same, but NOBODY sounds like Tool. What is their competition?? Bands like what TBE have turned into are a dime a dozen these days, wheres the diversity in that? and everybody else...I'm not baggin out the band, just FCOK. I still love The Butterfly Effect.
    Dreadknut
    If you listen to WITHOUT WINGS from BEGINS HERE, there is a string section, and OVERWHELMED has a french horn in the pre choruses. So from the beginning TBE have used other instruments in their pieces therefore just continuing with it on this album. FINAL CONVERSATION OF KINGS is awesome, definantly a favourite and great album of 2008. ALSO PURCHASED RECENTLY; -Metallica DEATH MAGNETIC -Mammal THE AURAL UNDERGROUND -Gym Class Heroes THE QUILT
    chris.ms92
    effected89 wrote: wall_of_sound, seriously get over it..if you can't respect the diversity and talent of the butterfly effect then you arent a true fan..yes begins here was awesome but bands evolve and mature..FCOK shows true musicianship..you just go back to tool whose songs all sound the same
    Everyone is in-titled to their own opinion!
    effected89
    Wall_of_sound
    I've been a fan of The Butterfly Effect since not long after the release of Begins Here, which blew me away, being one of the best Australian records put out in a long time! Same with the EP and the single only "Phoenix" which is possible the best song they have written. I saw The Butterfly Effect on their Phoenix tour in Geelong which is THE BEST gig I have ever been too (and I did see Tool last year) and I thought these guys were going to be the next massive hard rock thing to hit the world stages, however, they released Imago which was ok, but just ok. It didn't really take the band to any new places, a few catchy tracks but nothing too standout-ish. Looks like things have from ok to bad with Final Conversation of Kings. When all these so-called "new fans" get over this album in like 10 minutes, Clint and the boys, please remember all your "old fans" and put out something decent for us to waste our $25 on.
    Matt_1213
    If you were hoping they'd get back to their metal roots, you'll be disappointed. Seems they've ditched their long-time fans that helped them get their fame and instead gone chasing the money with a more radio-friendly sound. This isn't a bad album, but it sounds more like Muse than the Butterfly Effect we knew.
    chris.ms92
    Dreadknut wrote: If you listen to WITHOUT WINGS from BEGINS HERE, there is a string section, and OVERWHELMED has a french horn in the pre choruses. So from the beginning TBE have used other instruments in their pieces therefore just continuing with it on this album.
    I didn't only mean adding more instruments in their music and being more versatile, I meant their song writing ability to even the way they use their instruments now.
    The Butterfly Effect did take a huge risk with IMAGO, but with sacrifice comes reward. They lost their metal fan-base and gained a new range of fans. I can see why you are disappointed in the direction they have taken. I also thought the same at first but once you listen to it a few times it does grow on you.
    ibanez_guru