Imago review by The Butterfly Effect

• Released: Jun 17, 2006
The Butterfly Effect: Imago

Australian rockers The Butterfly effect come back with thier second release 'Imago', the follow up to 2003 debut 'Begins Here'. On first listen you can tell that the boys from Brisbane have grown as muscians with alot more complicated structures and alot more melody and harmony compared to begins here and the self titled e.p. Imago is definatly softer than anything they have done before, but is in no way less, and possibly better.But in saying that, the first single 'A Slow Descent' is one of the heavier tracks and has just debuted at #18 on the ARIA charts so well done to the boys. This album was produced by Joe Barassi, best known for his work Queens of the Stone Age and recently Tool's 10,000 days, and you can definately feel his input throughout this album. The bass and guitar work in this album are brilliant, kurt and glenn really come together well, really fitting with the songs and Ben, well his drums are fucking cool as always.

The lyrics in this album are more softer than previous, but it is Clint Boge's voice that is the main stand out of the whole album. I personally believe hat he is the best Rock singer Australia has ever produced. His lyrics do not stand out but his voice does. It can make you want to cry, jump around and go nuts or just sit back in awe, and it can do this all within the space of one song.

I cant really compare The Butterfly Effect to any other band. I just can not think of who they sound like, and I think that is one of the reasons they are so good. This album may take a couple of listens before you relly get the whole picture and once you do its amazing. I would recommend this album to anyone who like good Aussie rock. I'm giving Imago a 9 whilst I would probaly give Begins Here a 10. I would suggest checking both of them out.

BluE DicE
    This band is really really really great, and the reviewer is not lying about Clint Boge's voice. I haven't heard this CD yet, but if it's half as good as Begins Here it's sure to be amazing. Yay, I saw these guys in my local pub before they were famous
    ghostbuster#1
    the album just debuted at number 2 on the aria charts!!! it is about time these boys got some recognition, the single is also up to number 9, so good on the fellas!!!!
    FungusInMyMilk
    they dont sound 'a lot like deftones.' and i reckon that IMAGO is better than 'begins here', i need to check out the EP now and see what its like
    Kilswitcheffect
    These guys are great and i love this album i have not stoped listening to it all week can't wait to see them when they come to canberra
    Kilswitcheffect
    I LOVE IT. i just got the album last week rekindeling my liking for the band so much that i have not stopped listening to them all week cant wait to see them