Whisper War review by The Cab

• Released: Apr 29, 2008
The Cab: Whisper War

Being an avid fan of Paramore, I decided to check out the Fuelled by Ramen YouTube Channel. (I check out the label for new music. It's what I do.)

The music video for "I'll Run" was being featured, and right away I was taken by the build up of guitar, drums, and "oohs". All of a sudden, I hear a PIANO? "SICK!" I screamed to myself. I listened through the song, and I thought it was very pop infused with distorted guitar. Alex DeLeon, the frontman, has a great voice - strong lead, poppy riffs, great harmonies.

Throughout the listening of Whisper War, I thought that the band's use of the instruments were great. The piano (Alex Marshall) wasn't lost in the guitar (Ian Crawford) and bass (Cash Colligan). The drums (Alex Johnson) weren't monotonous between tracks. (I hate when drummer play monotonously. ) The instrumentalists all have great talents.

I've heard their EP. Their sound has definitely evolved from the generic Indie sound to a more. Commerical Indie sound, which I think is really good. The Cab is a mixture of genres. Pop, rock, funk, R&B. Listeners can catch on that The Cab is from Las Vegas, Nevada. Aside from the fact that they have a song called "Vegas Skies", in some tracks (e.g., Can You Keep a Secret, This City is Contagious) their sound is just Vegas.

Alex De Leon has a blog where he has recently been blogging about the Whisper War songs. You should check it out. His songs are influenced by his home of Las Vegas, and his experiences in his life. (He's only 19 years old, I think.) The lyrics are very deep, they tell stories, and again sound very Vegas. "Take My Hand" is about hope, and never giving up. "This City Is Contagious" is about what Vegas can do to people and how it can eat you alive, "What is around us, will ultimately have a large say in who we are. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I am from Las Vegas, Nevada and it happened to have a very large mouth (Symphony Soldier)."

De Leon's vocal capabilities are intense. It's obvious that his influence include Justin Timberlake and JC Chasez. You should hear this guy live. It's just like listening to the CD. That's how good he is.

Let's say you were to compare The Cab to other artists from Vegas. Let's say, The Killers, and Panic! At the Disco. The Cab is definitely the more pop of the 3 bands. For me, I could sit through multiple listening sessions of this CD compared to the others' releases. If you're into pop rock, killer harmonies, great use of instruments, you should definitely check out The Cab.

Best songs on the album: "Bounce", "I'll Run", "High Hopes On Velvet Ropes", "That's 70's Song", "Take My Hand", "Risky Business", "Vegas Nights", "Can You Keep A Secret" and "This City Is Contagious"

I love how their CD pumps me up, and makes me feel happy when I hear their songs! (I read on DeLeon's blog that he wants to make happy music. So he reached his goal.) I like how even their more serious songs are still high energy. However, I feel that the band spoils the listener with all those fast songs which makes me not like their slower songs as much.

It's one of the best CD's I've heard in a while. And, if it were stolen. I'd cry, and buy it again online because it's not available in Canada yet. In fact, they came to Toronto recently and my sister, my brother, and I bought our own copies. So that's 3 copies for 1 household. It's that damn good.