Two review by The Calling

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
The Calling: Two

I have always liked this band & their music. They've released 2 albums already & I'm surprised that no one has posted a review here yet. Well, let me be the 1st one to do so. The Calling isn't that different from all the other pop-rock, alternative bands out there. But that doesn't mean that they're bad. Their music & sound in general is very anthemic & sad at times. It's the type of music that makes you feel. Especially on the song If Only. Probably the saddest song I've heard in quite a while.

As I always like to do, here are my impression on the lyrics: 01. One By One - a good song. But probably not one of the best ways of starting the album. But when you hear this you get a good idea on what the album will be like. This song in particular is about a guy who desperate & lost, & has almost lost the will to live. 02. Our Lives - the 1st single. Good anthemic song. About living our lives to the fullest. 03. Things Will Go My Way - definitely one of those songs that give you an uplifting feeling. It's about looking to the bright side. Cause things will eventually turn out for the better. 04. Chasing The Sun - I'm really not a big fan of this song. It's still good though. About wanting to be with someone so overwhelming, it feels like your chasing the sun. 05. Believing - good, slow song. It starts off with a subtle verse. And when you think that it will have a powerful chorus, it maintains it's subtleness & simplicity. About believing in yourself. 06. Anything - now, this is one of my favourites. And one of the better songs in the album. The song is about willing to do anything for someone. 07. If Only - wow! Great song. Possibly on of the best love songs I've heard. Because it's about love & makes you wanna cry everytime you hear it. The chorus is the sad part. 08. Somebody Out There - I really don't like this song. I liked the guitar solo though. Carries the same theme as One By One, but this time it's about a girl. 09. Surrender - I didn't like this song at 1st, but it grew on me. I'm still not sure about the lyrics. But I think it's about sex. 10. Dreaming In Red - good song. It really gives you the feeling that you're dreaming. Obviously, this is about dreaming. 11. Your Hope - not a big fan of this song. Not a good way to close the album. The lyrics go extremely well with the music. Especially on If Only. Alex's voice is unique. Which is a good thing. But he sometimes sings the "oh's" & "yeah's" too much.

To the people new to this band, I recommend buying their debut album 1st. Then go ahead & buy this if you like what you hear. The best songs would have to be If Only, Our Lives & Anything. As always, I wouldn't buy the same album twice. But if it were stolen/lost, I'd buy their debut album. Since I don't have it yet. Good album, & a must-have for all you guys who like songs that make you wanna cry & stuff.

staind_dust87
    I disagree with the above comment, this record is incredible, the passion in each song will just grab you. Don't believe me? Try listening to Our Lives, Things Will Go My Way, or One By One. This album got me through some really hard sh*t in my teenage years and its still a crowning gem in my CD collection.