Two review by The Calling

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
The Calling: Two

"Two" is a simple name for the second record of the band, mistaken on this website, originally named The Calling. Just to prove some knowledge. The album rocks, at the same time it urges to kick back and listen closely to the in-depth, personal songs of Alex Band and Company. Songs like "Our Lives", "Chasing The Sun" and "Anything" are the kind of hit material the band was known for. And adding stuff like "Your Hope", "Dreaming in Red" or "Believing", you get to understand what Potential and Skill The Calling proved at the peak of their band success. Drum arrangements, Fill-ins, full-range Chords, everything that I appreciate in modern rock/pop music, is more than nicely done and the songs stay in mind for quite a while.

Lyrics, a major point to success or failure, are really good all over this nice record. Songs like "One by One", "Somebody Out There" or "If Only" tend to have you thinking of how we go through our lives, why we think or feel the way we do, and what may change if we shared a little more of our own, or if we became a little more thoughtful and attentive. Oh yeah, singer skills, well, if you've ever heard Alex Band sing, you know this is an instant answer-itself. I mean, this guy can really sing. Big YAY! for Alex and his singing, as well as the great songwriting.

"Camino Palmero" definitely comes back to mind, when thinking of the overall impression of this album. But also, it's another step forward, it's rather the record you'd like to present to your friends for their birthday, instead of some music that dies in a back corner of your ipod memory. As for myself, this album is a standard on my walkman-cell, because it always fits in anywhere that my life takes me. Long and short of it: give it a listen if you didn't do so yet. This record, nay this band, is worth it.