Complete Greatest Hits Review

9.8
 9.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Complete Greatest Hits Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on september 25, 2013

Sound: The Cars. They have a lot of really good songs that still get a lot of airplay on Rock and Oldies radio. "Just What I Needed," "You Might Think," "Let's Go," "Drive" and "Magic," to name only a few. This compilation is not one of those cheap little budget hits discs, you know, those ones that they sell for five dollars and about half the songs on it were never hits, by anyone's definition. There are twenty songs on "Complete Greatest Hits," including everything you've ever heard on the radio, regardless of what station you listen to. // 10

Lyrics: The style of music that The Cars play is something between standard Rock and New Wave. Their lyrics are a lot less weird than some of the New Wave artists, like Devo, but their instrumentation is pretty obviously New Wave. So, I suppose the proper thing to say, is that this band has Rock lyrics, with a New Wave sound. Which is cool, because, you don't have to like New Wave to like The Cars. They're one of the few bands who can be appealing to both the Rock crowd and the New Wave crowd. Those are two different types of music listeners, believe me. Though I do consider there to be people who can like both genres... I'm one of them. Of course, if you don't like either genre, then you probably won't like this band. // 10

Overall Impression: What I will say, is that with the title being what it is, I expected maybe some live stuff, or demos, or weird single-only tracks. Nothing of that nature is included, which is mildly disappointing, but there's so much good stuff that IS on here, that it's not really a setback. "You're All I've Got Tonight," has some weird volume shifting problem, but at least it's on the disc at all. Other than that, the sound on this CD is crystal clear. I would recommend this to any of those music fans who must have a greatest hits compilation by The Cars. You can actually get the first five studio albums in a collection on Amazon for like twenty dollars, if you want more after listening to this. // 10

Comments