The Cars: Deluxe Edition review by The Cars

• Released: Apr 20, 1999
The Cars: The Cars: Deluxe Edition

The Cars are one of the greatest bands of the 80's, and their sound is quite unique. I don't think I've heard a band that was like them. I was excited when I received the two-disc collection The Cars: Deluxe Edition, which contains the original debut album, as well as each track in demo form (with the exception of Good Times Roll) and some unissued tracks. Each track on this album is quite catchy and worth listening to, from the great guitar work of Elliot on Take What You Want and Don't Cha Stop, to the keyboarding of Greg on Bye Bye Love and Moving In Stereo. The demos of each track sound quite different from the final take (such as a synth solo on Don't Cha Stop and some lack some parts that show up on the final cut.) The unissued tracks are alright. Take What You Want is a great rocker, but some of them aren't as good.

The Cars were known for their unique lyrics (using such phrases as "psyilocybin pony".) The lyrics suit the tracks very well. The way the group set up who sang the lead (Ben singing the more gentle ones while Ric sings the darker ones) was a good strategy. However, if you listen to the demo of Moving in Stereo, it's pretty obvious why Ben sings it instead of Ric (Ric sings lead on demo forms of Moving in Stereo and All Mixed Up.) All in all, the lyrics are very good.

The Cars: Deluxe Edition is a great addition to anyone's collection. All of the tracks on the first cd are very good, and most of the songs on the second. I personally like I'm in Touch With Your World and Bye Bye Love, two tracks that are pretty underrated. The bad parts of this collection are that some of the demos aren't too great (Moving in Stereo) or aren't that good at all (Wake Me Up) and it would have been nice to have the other four "unissued demos" from The Cars demos (Ta Ta Wayo Wayo, Leave Or Stay, Take Me Now, Cool Fool.) Overall, this album is a great welcome, and anyone that likes punk/new wave, hard rock, or just what to listen to a unique band, will not regret picking this one up.