Cities: The Cat Empire Project review by The Cat Empire

• Released: Apr 6, 2006
The Cat Empire: Cities: The Cat Empire Project

The First time I heard these guy I was instantly attached to thier jazzy international pop ballads, and the two lead singers Felix Riebl and Harry Angus had exceptional singing styles. But this CD was nowhere near as good as the first two albums. I saw nowhere neeeeeear as good but still good just not as good. It has lots of clever new riffs and great trumpet sequences, good beat and fantastic keyboards. Fairly large range of genre, ranging from hip-hop to pop rock. In the opening track 'Cities' Indian sounding woodwind instruments keep a tune going throughout the song. The First instrumental song by The cat empire 'Jungle' opens with a catchy drum beat and the a sequence of brass instruments with the electric guitar in the back ground playing no riff just randomly playing, But really well.

Overall the lyrics aren't brilliant, I mean there good but not special. With the band having two singers/songwriters the lyrics on the album are a blend of the two different artists songwriting skills. Felix Riebl really introduces an australasian voice to the band and Harry Angus brings a fair urban street voice. The lyrics throughout the album bieng about urban life and loss of life. Inside the album cover it has the lyrics. Quoted by felix inside the album "This is for the cities we have travelled, actual, imaginary and otherwise-and it is for our own."

I was fairly dissapointed, I thought it would have been another addictive CD that I would have been listening to Non-Stop but I rarelly listen to it. I've listened to 'Down At The 303' a fair bit but now it's lost it's mojo. The standout tracks (yet still weak) are Cities, Boogaloo, Jungle and Down At The 303. I wished I had bought it on itunes, it was good but not worth the twenty Bucks. If you have to buy it but it on Itunes music store!

relequar
    I think you've missed the whole point of this album. "Cities - The Cat Empire Project" has been awarded an ARIA music award for the "Best world music album" : and this is the best way to think of this album. Cities is the blending of many different world music styles, I guess you could say metaphorically that it shows that the language of music can cross all cultural barriers, and that appreciation and enjoyment of music can unite people from all walks of life. For example, Boogaloo definitely has a soul feel, Waltz is a polka, Motion is classic R&B, Down at the 303 is Hip Hop and Anymore is traditional jazz. Im sure that someone will dispute this, but if you dont believe me just get the album and see for yourself. And, if you dont like this album, then I would suggest just staying conformed to your 'regular' genre.