Two Shoes Review

The Cat Empire: Two Shoes
Release Date: Oct 10, 2005
Label: EMI
Genres: Rock
Following on from their double platinum self-titled debut, Melbourne 6-piece The Cat Empire return with their 2005 album Two Shoes.
 8.1
 7.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Two Shoes Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 25, 2006

Sound: This is the first Cat Empire CD which I bought, and I am very glad that I did because this is easily one of my top ten favourite albums. I still have not heard any band which has a similar sound to The Cat Empire, however I thoroughly enjoy it. Harry Angus' trumpet makes me want to go and buy one to learn it, especially the solo in Miserere. The highlights for me on this album are The Car Song, Miserere and Sly. // 9

Lyrics: The singers (Felix and Harry) suit the band very well, although I am not sure how they would sound in a different environment. This said, they are very good for this album. The lyrics seem to be mostly about life, with the most obvious lyrics being in The Car Song, which never fails to amaze me with how accurate it is. Another song which has lyrics I like is Party Started, where rather than say words they spell them out with some words in between, but still manage to rhyme. Probably my favourite part of that song, in fact. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this with albums by any other artists as The Cat Empire seem to have their own style. As I have said, the most impressive songs for me were The Car Song, Miserere and Sly, but all of the songs are great. I love everything about this album and if it was lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Comments