One Wing review by The Chariot

• Released: Aug 28, 2012
The Chariot: One Wing

The Chariot have been big players in hardcore since their inception. Josh Scogin crafted the perfect hardcore act and has been taking it around the world for almost ten years now. They've always been known for doing unconventional things in their music, only now they're doing it much more so on "One Wing", the band's much-anticipated fifth full-length release. The album starts off on a hardcore high with The Chariot trademark firestorm of insane guitar parts, hammering drums, and Scogin's wailing screams. "Forget" is a perfect album starter for the band, and nothing I wasn't expecting; in other words a great song. The album rolls on to "Not" featuring a guest vocalist (don't know who). "Your" features a woman singing lyrics from "They Faced Each Other" off of The Chariot's sophomore album, "The Fiancee". It brought back some good memories for me. That leads into "First" which is the first (notice the pun?) track on the album to feature something I wasn't totally expecting. It starts off slow, and then breaks to just a guitar playing a small lick. The band builds and layers onto this riff, creating a cool, old western film-style progression. "Love." is an awesome fast track full of more traditional Chariot musicianship. It gets nice and heavy halfway through. "Speak" is a nice eerie piano track with just Scogin's vocals over the piano. That leads into "In" which is another song full of The Chariot's fire and brimstone. "Tongues" surprises me yet again with a really slow riff that goes through a lot of the song. "And" features the oldies-style song that was in "Calvin Makenzie" off of "Long Live". The epic last track, "Cheek.", features a speech from Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator", which definitely makes the track a keeper for me. After the speech, the band charges back in and ends the album, leaving a nice big Chariot sized blister on our musical brains.

Josh Scogin's vocal skills never disappoint, and his lyrics are always solid. Scogin's vocals only get better on this album. The scarring shout he has breaks through my ears and lets me know he is still one of the best scream vocalists out there today. A lot of the lyrics on this album deal with change, understanding, and opening up. The Chariot always executes their lyrics in very interesting and different ways. They never disappoint in this area.

The Chariot have truly created and become what they were meant to be. They've only gotten better and better throughout their history, and "One Wing" is no exception. I personally believe it is easily their best work to date. They were able to take a sound they already created, and twist it even more to evolve into a truly original piece of art, unable to be reproduced by any artist. The Chariot have truly come into their own on this release. Even the unconventional, colorful album art speaks this. Long live The Chariot.

Bass-riffer
    "They were able to take a sound they already created, and twist it even more to evolve" so they didn't just rip off Botch?
    millarso
    You say that like it would be a bad thing if that were true. Botch has influenced most bands in this genre in one way or another. But I really do think The Chariot have managed to carve out their own sound from that influence. I love both.