One Wing review by The Chariot

• Released: Aug 28, 2012
The Chariot: One Wing

"One Wing", The Chariot's fifth studio album, balances the perfect amount of discourse and rhythm, proving to be the best Chariot release to date. Every album The Chariot releases tries a new level of experimentation while maintaining the same recipe for chaos that has become famous for. "One Wing" is exactly this album; except even more polished than previous attempts. Songs like "Forget" and "Not" raise the energy level so high from the moment the first note is played. The guitars explode into a cacophony of groove that mixes so well with the drum pattern that it's hard not to tap your foot or bang your head along in tempo. Scogin's vocals in these songs are at first perceived to be disorder and out of place in terms of rhythm for the songs, but upon closer inspection, I find it fits the nature perfectly. Some arrangements in "Not" are reminiscent of "Bless The Martyr" and "Kiss The Child". The song seesaws between swells of quiet repetition and explosive blasts of energy. Other songs such as "Your" and "Speak" are slow enough to allow the listener to break from the mass amounts of intensity. Choirs and somber piano arrangements are included in these songs, which are inspirational and haunting due to the powerful combo working together so well. It is surprisingly moving. It rivals elements from "Fiance". The most unique track on "One Wing" has to be "First". The song starts off bass heavy as it follow a bluesy-metal beat. Then the song slows into a western breakdown that picks up the pace with each bar that passes. The most interesting layer involves trumpets coming in just as Scogin starts screaming. It was unlike anything I've heard from The Chariot before and left me most impressed. "Love." and "In" hit The Chariot's chaotic punk roots. The guitar and drums are doing so much you can barely process what is going on, however the drums finally even out while guitars still follow the same spastic riffs. The guitars eventually even out long enough to let your mind prepare for another breakdown. The thing I like about The Chariot is that although they follow the same song structure for what seems to be every song, the songs are all unique from each other. However, "Tongues" follows the same pattern as some previous chaotic punk Chariot songs but for some reason, it is the most forgettable track on the whole album. "Cheek." ends the album with an inspirational quote followed by Scogin still giving his all, which ends the album on a motivational note.

Josh Scogin simply put goes berserk with his vocals which shows just how much he puts his heart and soul into what he does. His passion for writing unique and use of intelligent lyrics is astounding. I find that he is the most underrated front man in metal. Just listening you can hear the effort behind every note he vocalizes, which makes you realize just how much passion Scogin has for what he does. Everyone doesn't appreciate Scogin's vocals but I find his singing alone inspires a respect for The Chariot's music.

After listening to "One Wing", I found how it amazing how The Chariot has improved the skill of track composition. They have a knack for composing tracks that control the energy of the user so easily. Like mentioned before, they do have the same song structure for most of their songs, but I never found myself thinking any one song sounded like another. The biggest problem I did have with "One Wing" is that it is too short, clocking in at nearly 31 minutes. This however, allowed for an energetic album. If you've ever seen The Chariot perform live then you know that energy is what they strive for. Overall, this album left me impressed. "One Wing" is definitely The Chariot's best work in my books.

floyd19
    ince I started with my online business I earn $62 every 15 minutes. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don't check it out. Red97.c0m