The Fiancee review by The Chariot

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
The Chariot: The Fiancee

OK, to start off this review I would like to say, The Chariot rocks. On this album it seemed that they really pulled it together. Their first album was good but it consisted mostly of random freakouts. In The Fiancee, there were fewer freakouts but they substituted the missing ones with some freakin' awesome riffs. The CD starts off with the beast of a song, "Back to Back". Oh, before I forget, I think that The Chariot are like so awesome 1. because their music kicks huge butts and 2. their song names. The songs in this CD are like a freakin' story! Who thinks of that? So anyway "Back to Back" is a beast song but it is too short. I love this album because of the wonderful Josh Scogin. His screaming is liek the screaming of angels. Two songs on this album ("And Shot Each Other" and "Forgive Me Nashville") have probably some of the best screams ever recorded ("And Shot Each Other"'s is the best though. When you hear the song you'll know what scream I'm talking about). So yeah, there's the sound. Overall, their sound is a pimp.

First of all, I'm not religious adn The Chariot is. The Fiancee is probably the most Christian-oriented album I've ever heard (I like As I Lay Dying too and their Christian references are a lot more subtle). One that stands out to me is 'the wrath of God is like an ocean to a child.' I have failed to understand what that means but it has God in it so there you go. My favorite lines in the album are 'have you fallen asleep with a dagger in your bones that was thoughtfully placed by your own wretched finesse?' (I don't know what a finesse is but oh well, that was from #9), 'chuches have nuns, cowbiys got guns and everyone's waiting to die' (a very happy line, that's from #1), 'if there's blood on the roots then there's blood on the branches' (I can't think of how their would be blood on the roots and branches unless two people were bleeding and one was in the tree and one was underground, anyway, that was from #5) and finally, 'and the conversation gets placed once again, underneath my brain, and up in front of my mouth, technology, well, she takes a walk and she's so proud' (I have no freakin' clue what that means but it makes me think everytime I hear that song which is also a beast song, that's from #6). My overall impression of the lyrics is that they are abstract and they refer to chatting with God.

The Fiancee is definately my favorite album that I own (besides Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, Chili Peppers Greatest Hits, and AFI). The only song that I totally don't like at all is "The Trumpet" because it's like gospel and I don't get jazz so there you go. Put the pieces together. I freakin, love this album. If somebody stole it from me I would tackle them and have Harry Potter whip him with a wet noodle. My favorite songs on this album are Back To Back, And Shot Each Other, The Deaf Policeman, Heard This Noise, Forgive Me Nashville. In under 40 minutes, this CD is a beast with like 10 freakin' heads. Holy crap this took me like an hour to write.

fender_NiNE
    i saw these guys live when they headlined for misery signals and the human abstract...****ing terrible. not a single person was moshing they were all kind of just staring at them waiting for them to actually not suck.
    !normajean!
    large_slug you said you didnt know what "the wrath of God is like an ocean to a child." it means that God's wrath is great. and no one can escape it. your welcome. :] again, its an amazing album.
    hopespaul
    vocals are too cheesy sometimes, especially on the beggining of the opening track
    Infamou$17
    Badass album. Short, yeah, but it's about as effective as a James Toney power punch in your face. Not digging "Then Came to Kill" though... but it's not a big deal. Hope their next album is longer than this I already know it'll be good
    ZZZombieChomp
    I don't think I can explain it, but to me this is the best hardcore album I've ever heard. If this really is their defining album, then I can't wait for more from Scogin.