Unsung review by The Chariot

• Released: Dec 6, 2005
The Chariot: Unsung

The Unsung EP is mostly remakes of songs from The Chariot's first album. I like this album because it gives a more sophisticated edge to their songs. The two new songs, 'Yanni Depp' and 'Kenny Gibler (Play The Piano Like a Disease which is on 'The Fiancee' but goes by the name 'Then Came To Kill')' are pretty good. 'Yanni Depp' is short but sweet and 'Kenny Gibler' is a little too drawn out. The songs that are remade are: 'Before There Was Atlanta, There Was Douglasville', 'Goodnight My Lady and Forever Farewell', 'Die Interviewer (I'm Only Speaking German)', and 'The Company, The Comfort, The Grave'. Overall, this album sounds like The Chariot's first but more put together.

One I love about The Chariot is there lyrics. Most of the lyrics are old but my favorite line in 'Yanni Depp' is: 'all we are, are crocodiles'. It's a nice view on people. I'm guessing it refers to the agressiveness of humans. In 'Kenny Gibler' I enjoy the line: 'fight priest, fight. take pictures'. It kind of rolls off the tongue wihtout making any sense. Another thing I like about The Chariot are their song names (like the song that's name was like 3 sentences long in their first and how the songs are a poem in their third). On this album they are a combination of celebrities names. They are: 'Yanni Depp', 'Phil Cosby', 'Vin Affleck', 'Kenny Gibler', 'Sargeant Savage', and 'Donnie Cash'. Oh yeah and of course Josh Scogin unleashes his fury on this album.

A couple of months ago I went to Borders. I was looking around the rock section and I saw a lonely CD with a blue, see-through case. I thought, Hey that's cool. So I grabbed the CD and instantly fell in love. The Chariot are one of those few bands who do their own thing. They can be wild and random at times but also honest and spiritual. I love this album because it's like 15 minutes long and I can listen to it anytime without getting bored. If some jerk stole it I would call up my friend Horation del Fuego and he would know to do. Trust me, I fyou still this CD, he will find you.

Seth Shadows
    burn the stars
    hoondog
    wow not even close to dillinger. i love both bands, but this cd is by far the chariots worst effort.
    Tr3v0rSh0fn3r
    Yeah the Chariot's very different from Dillinger. The Chariot is more on the punk spectrum while Dillinger is more on the metal side of hardcore. Also I think you missed the whole point of their lyrics. All of the lyrics are Christian based and are commentaries on popualr thought and the world today. For example, "All we are, are crocodiles," is meant sarcastically about the theory of evolution. "Fight, priest, fight, take pictures," Is a comment on the world's love of itself and it's image coupled along with the struggles of the church. Don't say something is nonsense if it really isn't. This Cd is their best. The Chariot is badass.
    OThugSd
    Seth Shadows wrote: More of this? I'm not a fan of this cd or the band. Reminds me too much of the Dillinger Escape Plan. Who I might add, is just as awful.
    Basically my two favorite bands...
    6stringz89
    DEP is a talented band with great work from all instruments. Chariot just releases heavy noise
    deathpidgeon
    deathpidgeon
    I think whats trying to be put across is that they're kinda the same genre? Noise-core? I cant really say cause Ive never heard dillinger.
    burn the stars
    deathpidgeon wrote: burn the stars : uhhh... dillinger is far more technical than the chariot could ever hope to be. as for the chariot, i wish josh would go back to norma jean. Yeah, no doubt, but did you know Daniel Davison,the drummer of norma jean quit too?
    i know, that made me really sad too.
    Nintendo_zombie
    I love The Chariot, amazing stuff. I also dig The Fiancee'. Honestly, while Josh Scoggin was a great addition to Norma Jean, I'd rather have these two amazing bands, then just one. They both produce a different sound that's absolutely superb. Hopefully Norma Jean delivers with The Anti-Mother, while Redeemer is a ballin' record, it just didn't live up to O' God the Aftermath.
    Nintendo_zombie
    By the way, in case you cats didn't know, Unsung also have live footage one it. If you put it in your computer it should come up. It's pretty fresh.. plus Josh Scoggin has long hair.. Which looks very weird, haha.