Tellin' Stories review by The Charlatans

• Released: Apr 21, 1997
  • Users' score: 5 (1 vote)
The Charlatans: Tellin' Stories

The Charlatans have always been one of those bands who really should have been bigger than they are. It's a shame that a lot of people have only heard a couple of songs by them as they really are a fantastic and extremely versatile band. Tellin' Stories has a very Britpop sound to it, not suprising as it was released in 1997, just as britpop was coming to an end. Songs like North Country Boy and the standout track How High are incredibly catchy. With No Shoes is another track which will catch the listeners attention. Keyboardist Rob Collins was killed during the making of Tellin Stories so his sound is missing from some tracks that was so evident in previous Charlatans albums.

As said before, Rob Collins died during the recording of this album. As a result, the rest of the band wrote a song called Rob's Theme in his memory. The rest of the album has very good lyrics but its the sound that is the main reason why this album sold so well. Tim Burgess is perhaps one of Britain's best singers and one of the most underated. His voice is so versatile and he sounds on top form in Tellin Stories. Examples where he's in top form come in songs like How High, With No Shoes and One To Another.

For me this is perhaps my favourite Charlatans album and many other people would agree. Its fantastic and there is hardly a bad track on this album. For me With No Shoes, North Country Boy and How High are the standout tracks but there are more. It got to number 1 in the charts when it was released and I can see why, it is fantastic. If you love catchy britpop tunes that are relatively straight forward then this album is definetly for you!