Take Me There review by The Checks

• Released: Jun 11, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
The Checks: Take Me There

New Zealand band The Checks play bluesy rock. Nothing more, and nothing less. And for a bunch of guys who are just out of their teens their licks are strangely mature. This is the 3rd release from the band, featuring 3 new tracks and 2 re-recorded numbers. The tracks are: 01. Take Me There - strongly reminiscent of AC/DC with stabby power chords and highly energetic chorus. 02. Oh Please - "Well Saturday night didn't go too well/Lost my teeth and felt like hell/Ain't nothing left but my prison cell". Yes, it's a high octane rock track featuring surprisingly boring solo. Which is a shame when the rest of the song is so enjoyable. It just seems cliched. 03. That One On The Right - this track was written when one of the band members was working washing dishes and pondering which one of two attractive girls to go for. Running at 1:49 seconds, this short piece of extremely bluesy swagger is my favourite track of the EP. 04. Should I Lie - another bluesy track with more hooks then a psycho killers basement. However, at 4:09 I feel that this track would have been better if some of the unnecessary fat was trimmed from the musical bones. 05. The Creek (Live) - first song they wrote for a school talent competition. The main rift is short and simple while the singer belts the lyrics out in a similar fashion to the late bon scott. Stylistically the album could be best described as a Rolling Stones-AC/DC hybrid with the short crunchy rifts and bluesy swagger. However, on a couple of tracks I felt that they had included a solo because they felt they should, not because it needed one.

The majority of the lyrics sound like nonsense. However, they do suit the sound of the band. Listening to it, I get the feeling that the singer approaches the lyrics in the same way a guitarist approaches his instrument: with the intention of making something that sounds good rather then something that is technically 100% correct. The singer is OK. His voice suits the music. On the bluesier numbers his tone could easily be compared to Aerosmith's Steven Tyler on tracks like 'I don't Wanna Miss A Thing' and 'Angel'. As I said before, on the more good time rock n roll numbers you can almost hear Bon Scott, although it is not quite as aggressive as that.

I can happily say I own almost all of their recordings, even though it has meant importing many from New Zealand. And I can honestly say this is not their best work. Which is disappointing as I found This EP more enjoyable then their full blown debut album (Hunting Wales). Looking through their back catalogue I would say this is probably my second favourite release behind their debut single What You Heard. A little more time spent on track selection and mastering and it could have been a classic. Although I may have painted a negative picture in the last paragraph it is an enjoyable sleazy rock EP. It just falls short on the grounds of being a little too clichd and a little too indulgent. Tracks such as 'Oh Please' and 'That One On The Right' still manage to put a smile on my face. If it was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again. I have it burnt onto the computer, and I don't know if I could be bothered to go through the hassle of getting it imported again.

soapalot
    Love these guys. They got started just down the road from where I live. Saw them live last year when they supported Muse and they were brilliant.
    mike_anderson25
    Ah you were there too dude?! Sh*t that was an awesome gig, the checks were sweet too, bout time there was a kiwi band who sounded decent.