Of Skins And Heart Review

The Church: Of Skins And Heart
Released: 1981
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: EMI/Parlophone, Capitol, Carrere, Arista
As the Church's first album, it gave a little glimpse of what was to come...
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Of Skins And Heart Reviewed by: lithium battery, on december 14, 2010

Sound: Released in 1980, The Church's debut album spawned them one of their first hits - The Unguarded Moment. The church's two guitarists Peter Koppes and Marty Wilson-piper blend seemlesly. Coupled with Steve Kilbey's vocals it makes for a rich, atmospheric first album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics make you stop and think. They are not overly simplistic lyrics and are written well. They suit the rich guitar sounds of the record and lend atmosphere to the record. "A palm tree nodded at me last night and he said, hey, you look so pale" are the opening lines to the song Bel-air. They make you wonder what is happening to the subject of this song, what state are they in or what they are thinking. // 9

Overall Impression: As the Church's first album, it gave a little glimpse of what was to come... The most impressive songs off the album in my opinion is "Bel-air", "Memories In Future Tense" and "The Unguarded Moment". As a guitarist I really like the rich atmospheric guitar sounds presented throughout the record. If it were lost or stolen, I would totally buy another copy. I recommend this album, so don't be shy, go out and get it and have a listen! // 9

Comments