The Blurred Crusade review by The Church

• Released: Mar 25, 1982
The Church: The Blurred Crusade

The second album The Blurred Crusade, issued in March 1982, was mixed and produced by Clearmountain.Stylistically more complex than their debut, it is "a smoother, fuller release". "With its mystical lyrics the second album ... brought the group's own style more into focus". The album peaked at No. 10 and its first single, "Almost With You" resulted in a second Top 30 hit, peaking at No. 21.

The lyrics jump out and grasp you as they try and tell their story. The lyrics blend seamlessly with the music, providing you, the listener, with a pleasent listening experience. "With its mystical lyrics the second album ... brought the group's own style more into focus". Steve Kilbey's lyrics are described as being surreal, with only hints of the complete course, leaving it to the listeners imagination. His lyrics and poems are often described as surreal, though Kilbey flatly rejects any fixed meaning of his poetry, categorizing them as art pour l'art. Surveying his body of work, several recurring themes can be noticed: myths, legends, dreams and nightmares, visions, drug fantasies, orientalisms, biblical (not exclusively Christian) motifs. These thematic circles are linked, using numerous word plays and references. More recently, Kilbey has stated (about his latest collection, "Eden") his poetry questions "the fabric of love and fear, temptation and creation and our eternal quest for meaning". Often he tries to sketch with few strokes and hints a complete epic course, leaving the details to the listener's imagination.

The Blurred Crusade is jam-packed full of great songs, so this was a hard-pick, but the songs that really stood out were - "Almost With You" and "You Took". Testament to this, they are still staples on the Church's set list over 30 years on. I love how the songs make me think and imagine things when I listen to them. If it was stolen or lost, I would immediately go out and buy another copy. So, as always, don't be shy, get out there and have a listen to this great album.