Combat Rock review by The Clash

• Released: May 14, 1982
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
The Clash: Combat Rock

I don't know what the hell the Clash was trying to prove on this album, I wouldn't call it punk though. The guitars sounded so bad, it wasn't even funny. The bass was okay, but not great. The best instument was probally the percussion, most likely the only element that kept me awake during the songs. What I don't understand is why there are trumpets, saxophones, flutes, xylophones, and a bunch of other pointless instruments on almost every song. After a while all the music starts to fade into the walls, and you forget you're listening to anything at all. The only decent songs are probally "Know Your Rights," "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" and "Rock The Casbah". I think the music and lyrics would have sounded a lot better if they were accompinied by fast guitar and bass riifs.

In the past, the Clash's lyrics were about rebelion, chaos, authoritive figures, love, and about a million other things. The same ideas are expressed in Combat Rock, but the way they were delivered was not very effective, and plain and simple, were boring. Joe Strummer doesn't have the strongest or unique voice, but when he sang songs like "I Fought The law" and "White Riot" I could just feel the energy of his voice. In this album there seems to be no energy, just a bland voice mixed with instruments.

Combat Rock was the third Clash album I bought and certainly was the most disapointing one. The only reason I bought it was because it has two popular hits, "Should I stay Or Should I go" and "Rock The Casbah." However, this did not mean it would measure up to the Clash's past albums like "London Calling" and their self-titled one. I wish I had spent my 14$ on something else. My advice, download "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" and "Rock The Casbah," don't buy the album.