Combat Rock review by The Clash

• Released: May 14, 1982
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
The Clash: Combat Rock

The first time I hold "Combat Rock" in my hands was when I bough a "The Clash London Calling Boxset" in which "Combat Rock" was included as an extra. However I listened to the CD and I think "Combat Rock" isn't bad at all. I mean I got it because of the "London Calling Set" as an extra. Whatever... I must say: "Combat Rock" isn't really the best Clash album. I dunno - Maybe I'm also wrong. But it's just not the sound I love about The Clash. There are many genres on it like Punk, Wave, or Reggae and "Combat Rock" have also a few good fu**in' songs like "Know Your Rights", "Straight To Hell", "Rock The Casbah", "Ghetto Defendant" or the classics "Should I Stay Or Should I Go".

Despite of the fact that "Combat Rock" isn't my type I've to say that however Joe Strummer is a great lyricist and vocalist - also on that album, of course. There are good examples for genius lyrics on that album like "Know Your Rights" or "Straight To Hell" - But in my opinion you can't compare it to the early stuff. The lyrics are great - but I can't feel that energy that he had back then.

At least I will say it again: "Combat Rock" isn't The Clash greatest album. In my opinion. It have a few great songs as I've said already: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go", "Ghetto Defendant", "Rock The Casbah", or "Straight To Hell" and it sounds alright. If I would it buy again if some sick bastard would stole it? Probably no. Maybe some day again, but not immediately. "Combat Rock" isn't a bad record - But it's just don't my type...

mjosephw52
    Great album. The best song The Clash ever recorded, Straight to Hell, is a high point, but there really aren't very many low points. Definetly agree with the second and third reviews.