London Calling review by The Clash

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
The Clash: London Calling

Often regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time, 1979's "London Calling" perfectly showcases The Clash's ability to bring musical enjoyment while manipulating a wide range of musical styles. Anywhere from retro rock to punk to an imaginative blend of the two, it's no doubt that "London Calling" is usually held in such high regard. With 1978's "Give 'Em Enough Rope," The Clash broadened themselves and broke out of their primarily punk shell, but it wasn't really until "London Calling" that they almost completely obliterated their punk roots, and continued to venture onward and upwards into the musical world. Every single track is good, every single track is different and unique, and the album as a whole is an incredible listen from start to finish. The production value is flawless, every instrumental and vocal piece is placed where it deserves, and overall, it's just one of the most enjoyable albums I've ever listened to.

Lyrically, The Clash have really started to jump into new territory. Not only do they adapt musically of the style they're playing, but their lyrics kind of seem to take on the same tone, the same general idea as the song itself. For instance, "Brand New Cadillac" is an incredibly retro blues-like, almost Elvis-styled song, and even the simplest lines such as "My baby drove up in a brand new Cadillac" are written and sung in such a way that the song remains strictly in its own atmosphere, and instead of The Clash trying to take that style of song and make it their own, they seem perfectly content making them sound like the song itself. It's simply amazing.

Overall, I feel that "London Calling" is, without a doubt, the greatest album of the '70s. It's pretty high up on my top albums of all time list, too. Whether you're a fan of punk, a fan of classic rock, a fan of blues, whatever; get this album. It literally changed my life, and I can't say that about too many albums. Historians a hundred years from now will look back at rock music, and will realize just how monumental "London Calling" really is.

The_Rant
    What does everyone have against Topper in these reviews. Seriousy, he was awesome.
    Mcassidy42
    I just got it for free off of BMGMusic.com, I hope it's all you guys make it out to be
    werty22
    I might add that they are about the only punk band to not use power chords for every single song
    Far from the truth. Anyway, one of the best albums of all time, if not the best.
    dr.alanstatham
    By far the greatest punk band of all time! Legit aswell, with a proper punk ethos, they weren't manufactured or in it for the money.
    almario1402
    I got this album in HMV, it was surprisingly only $10 (Canada) it also came with Combat Rock! I popped this album in and I WAS HOOKED! GET THIS ALBUM IF YOU'RE INTO PUNK!!!
    bretty565
    Best punk band that pushed the boundries yes but in my view the sex pistols reign supreme