London Calling review by The Clash

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
The Clash: London Calling

Every instrument has to be one of the most unique playing that I had ever seen. Like Joe Strummers voice is strange but something you wouldn't seen in any other band due to his voice being kind of unclear but giving a strange, but unique voice. Mick Jones guitar comes in the right time of a song, like using simple chords but somehow using it ti make a powerful sound. Paul Simonons bass playing almost leads everyones instrument to come in the right time, giving a simple riff that goes through the whole song but something that I would listen through the whole song than any instrument. Lastly Topper Headons drumming skills are something that you want to listen to allot, because Paul and Topper work really well together.

Their most well known song on the album is "London Calling", which gives an explosion of amazing lyrics using strong metaphors and rhyming. Nearly every song on the album main topic responsibility of growing up to be an adult (Rudie Can't Fail). The song Spanish Bombs sings about the historical Spanish Civil War while Joe, Mick, and Paul sing in Spanish in the chorus. Joe, Mick, and Paul are all able to sing lead vocals in the songs. Like Joe sings the majority of the songs, Mick sings the last track of the album "Train in Vain", and Paul sings a great reggae song with strong lyrics "Guns of Brixton". Each singer has a unique sound in their voices which continued to grow in their next few albums.

I would never compare this to any other punk albums. This album shows how they changed and showed the soft side of punk while putting other genres with punk and put all in a blender. I love this album then any other album I have. The only song I did have problem with is "Four Horsemen" which tends to annoy me a bit. If this album got stolen I would do anything to get it back in any circumstances, and buy one more just in case. Each song was unique like "London Calling" using a heavly used repetition after each line. "Rudie Can't Fail" was something I didn't expect by using horns in the song. And one of my favorites is "Spanish Bombs" with catchy lyrics to play along with and able to easily sing the Spanish language part.

mac_daddy
    ok ive read a few of the reviews on the clash albums and why is alot of people acting as if topper is just a regular drummer,hes one the best of all time and no one seems to notice