The Clash (US) review by The Clash

• Released: Oct 25, 1990
The Clash: The Clash (US)

The Clash were one of the first bands to grace the punk scene in London in the mid-70's and their debut album "The Clash" is up on top with some of the best punk albums ever. The sound of the album never changed throughout the whiole album and is raw and pure, no effects or any of that stuff, it is just vocals, guitar, bass and drums. The music is nothing complicated, quite simple with basic chords and no hard guitar work at all, making it really easy to listen to. Yet, even though it is simple, it still makes people get up and jump around. "The Clash [US]" is the band's first alubm but it is different from their debut as it includes singles that where never put on an album, which include, "Clash City Rockers", "White Man In Hammersmith Palais" and "I Fought The Law". Some tracks were left off the re-issue such as "Deny", "Cheat", "Protex Blue" and "48 Hours". On this album, there is two styles of music, punk, which is fast and hard hitting music, and also punk-reggae which is music that you can just groove to and float over when listening to it. Finally, although the sound is the same throughout the album, each song sounds different in their own way, which is why this album's sound is more distinct then all the other albums.

Joe Strummer is viewed by many people as one of the great voices and writers of the punk era. Depsite his voice not being the best, he has his own unique style, which makes Joe a good singer. His voice is powerful and when he sings about anything, everbody beliefs him whatever he says. The lyrics on "The Clash" are sheer genius as they combine themselves with politics and tap into the listener's imagination. Joe's lyrics have a lot of political meaning, which meerly reflects the era of which they were written, like when everybody was out of work and the government was doing nothing to help the country.

Not many other albums match the brilliance of "The Clash" which has everyting in an ablum taht you could want. Me personally, I don't think The Clash ever matched this first album, they nearly did with "London Calling". The most impressive song on the album is "Police And Thieves" and maybe "I Fought The Law" but the other songs aren't close behind. I feel the only albums downfall is "Jail Guitar Doors" as it doesn't have the same feel as the other songs, for reasons unknown. What I love about this album is that it is just music, no fancy effect crap, just four guys playing their instruments, which makes the album more unqiue and original. If the album got lost or stolen, after getting over the depression that it was lost/stolen, I'd go out and get a new one becuas eit is worth the money.

scorpio2billion
    I Fought the Law was a Bobby Fuller song, not a Johnny Cash song. But who cares? The Clash are better than 30 Bobby Fullers.