Bend To Break review by The Color Fred

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
The Color Fred: Bend To Break

The Color Fred is Fred the ex-guitar player from Taking Back Sunday's new solo project. All these songs were intended for Taking Back Sunday and his older band, Breaking Pangaea. I also admired Fred as a great song writer and a great singer so I was anxious to check out his solo stuff. The album opens up with "Get Out" with an acoustic guitar. It later turns into a great rock song with Fred's shouts/screams. The next song is the band's first single, "If I Surrender". It starts out with a cool little solo and turns into a primarily bass verse. There's also the piano ballad "It Isn't Me". My personal favorite would have to be "Minnesota". It's extremely catchy and all around is great.

I love all the lyrics. The first song "Get Out" is about a car crash. This track really hits me because in the past few months, I have had 2 friends die in a car crash, so it's kind of personal in a way. Here are some of the lyrics. "Get out, Get out, Get out, your not driving, we hit the ice, just before the telephone pole, we hit the brakes, but there was no escape". The lyrics are Taking Back Sunday-ish (He was there song writer after all), but it's more uncensored. The lyrics go really well with the music. Each song captures the mood of the lyrics, and it's really neat. Fred has gotten better at singing. His voice sounds better with The Color Fred rather then Taking Back Sunday. He has guest vocals of the live bass player PJ on a few songs as well.

I freakin love this CD. It kind of reminds me of mellow Bayside, old Taking Back Sunday (yes I know weird), Dashboard Confessional, and Copeland. My favorite songs are "Get Out", "If I Surrender", "Hate To See You Go", "Complaintor", "I Didn't See", and "Minnesota". I don't hate anything about the album. I listen to it about 5 or 6 times a week. I would defiantly buy this CD if I lost it or some jerk stole it.

stradivari310
    definitely need to buy this.. the songs on the myspace make it look like the rest of the album is great
    B2daR2daA2daD
    i saw him recently on tour with straylight run, was not impressive, very boring and repedative, i thought it was maybe him, but when i listened to the cd, i constantly find myself switching around songs, i dont get anything from this cd, its not unique, should have stayed with TBS...