My Demon In Your Eyes review by The Color Morale

• Released: Mar 8, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
The Color Morale: My Demon In Your Eyes

The Color Morale...I've had mixed feelings about this band for ages now. While they never brought anything truly new to the Metalcore scene, they did show promising musical chops and manage to put on a killer live show. However, their new album, My Demon In Your Eyes, is a deal breaker for me. The album is quite literally a re-hash of every metalcore album released in the past year (or three), offering almost nothing original. Are there screamed vocals? Yes. Breakdowns? Too many. Steriotypical clean vocals? Eh, why not? At their strongest here, TCM comes off as a weak Of Mice and Men, and at weakest any metalcore band formed out of a garage in high school. It isn't fair though to say they didn't try. There are a few hints at some originality sparcely placed, from some cool lead lines to atmospheric effects. But like I said, they're sparce, and hardly compensate for the other 30 minutes of generic filler on this album.

Lyrics range from relatively well written to absolute rubbish. Lines like "Are we all punished for sins of fathers/It seems so pointless to have an existence/In a world misused" come off with the type of raw power that makes you actually think about the words behind the growls. However, for every good line, there are about four either generic or just plain terrible lines. "Just get me out of this town/It's like a dried up,/lake full of debris and I am starting to drown" is the type of line I've heard rephrased different ways tons of times, which brings otherwise strong writing into obscurity. Lyrical content aside, the delivery is what makes or breaks a band for most people, not content. In TCM's case, it breaks. The screams are almost exclusively low gutteral growls, which gets pretty old after the first three tracks (think We Came As Romans without any type of emotion). The cleans are generic as well, sticking in the singer's comfort zone the entire time, and sound relatively forced. Maybe time will improve both vocalist's delivery, but this go-around it was truly a low-point.

The Color Morale need to step it up if they want to be recognized in the Metalcore scene instead of just fading into obscurity like most bands. They show promise musically, if they'd just write a melody line a bit more often and ween off of constant breakdowns. Songs like Human(s) Being and Walkers have the ability to entertain, but still don't stand out from any other metalcore band's filler material. I have hope that The Color Morale CAN write better music, and quite possibly will, but if they can't, I sure hope they spare us album 3... For fans of: We Came As Romans, Gwen Stacy, The Chariot

Sam Rulez D00d
    "The album is quite literally a re-hash of every metalcore album released in the past year (or three), offering almost nothing original. Are there screamed vocals? Yes. Breakdowns? Too many. Steriotypical clean vocals? Eh, why not? At their strongest here, TCM comes off as a weak Of Mice and Men, and at weakest any metalcore band formed out of a garage in high school." WTF!? First of all, if you knew anything about guitars, you'd realsize that TCM uses so many different techniques and strange chords that no other bands use. This band is one of the most original bands out there today in a world filled with crappy generic scene bands such as Asking Alexandria. I respect your thoughts but I 100% disagree with everything in this review. I have to stand up for TCM because they are one of the most unique bands the scene has to offer. TCM FTW! (and also the album is My DEVIL in Your Eyes, not DEMON. that might help.)
    Roflpwn
    This band is on rise, that should say enough about them. But i gave them a listen and i found nothing original at all, just another band in this endless stream of shitty "metalcore".
    Loki_37
    What we hear are Escape the Fate-esque vocals - maybe a little more 'soulful' or poppy - with Parkway Drive breakdowns and Miss May I screams. Maybe the chords are good. Hell, maybe their songwriting is really original! But it's absurdly difficult to get past those breakdowns.
    cotton3434
    Saw em live at a show The Chariot was headlining, and in contrast to the above post, found them to be pretty mediocre. Post-hardcore that is above average for post-hardcore is still mediocre, imo. Definitely nothing remarkable about them.
    Sam Rulez D00d
    I just don't get what you guys are hearing. These guys totally blow away all the generic We Came As Romans, Like Moths to Flames, type bands. And not to mention, their vocals are more soulful, while all the other bands just try to sound like Jeremy DePoyster.
    TheClincher
    Woah, I completely disagree with this review. This album is amazing, just listen to Humannequin..I couldn't find anything really wrong with it at all. Great band with a great future.
    Krautschädl91
    What is this, why would you review a band's record when you haven't got the first idea who they are and what they're about (you obviously didn't even listen to the whole album nor have you ever heard their first effort)?? The name is wrong, and you don't even know the rough and the clean vocals are the same guy (garret rapp), oh and TheClincher, you're on the wrong page here, humannequin is on We All Have Demons!! God, I mean, I won't discuss tastes of music here because that's stupid, but you could've just dropped this review in the first place, if you've never heard of the band and don't enjoy their music!! yeah!! ... and also, I don't think their generic at all and I'm usually listening to and appreciating acts like The Fall of Troy and #12, that's originality for ya, just sayin' (also enjoying OM&M and WCAR by the way, so that's not a contradiction at all)