Between Earth & Sky Review

4.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Between Earth & Sky Reviewed by: BobDole17, on july 25, 2008

Sound: These days, many bands are trying to reproduce the sounds of classic rock (Wolfmother). Not that this is a bad direction for a band, it's just that many bands appear to be rip offs and copycats of old bands such as Led Zeppelin. The Colour seem to grasp what can be considered a classic rock song, and are able to create their own unique sound with a distinctive guitar sound. The guitar is not rough sounding, rather as if it were just played through a regular amp with few effects. And the addition of a mouth organ on a few of the closing tracks is a great addition to that classic/revival sound. Of course The Colour are going to be compared to bands such as the Kings of Leon and especially the Strokes; however, the lead singer of the Strokes has nothing on the front man of the Colour. His voice does not sound muffled as does most Strokes albums. This is a clean cut studio album from a band trying to keep rock alive. It is a must buy for anyone interested in garage rock/revival music. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album on most tracks are very cliche. Love is a theme found in most of the songs. What I loved about the lyrics, however, were the biblical references. Though they are subtle, it is always nice to hear of something other than relationships all the time. And of course, these lyrics do not seem to be as deep as those of the Hold Steady's (my personal favorite band), but the lyrics, just like anything else, is only as deep as the audience wants it to be. // 7

Overall Impression: My favorite tracks of the album were Devil's Got a Holda Me, Can't You Hear it Call, and Kill the Lights. I figure that if the band were to go mainstream, these would be the tracks I would want to be accompanied with a killer video. Compared to other artists of the genre (garage rock), I find this band to be a top contender. Track for Track, I find this album to be better than any KoL or Strokes album, but that is my own personal opinion. I sampled the album on Amazon, and needed it to be in my car for the long drive to work. Like I said before, if you dig the genre, get the album. period. // 9

Comments