Kick Up The Fire And Let The Flames Break Loose review by The Cooper Temple Clause

• Released: Aug 9, 2003
The Cooper Temple Clause: Kick Up The Fire And Let The Flames Break Loose

This album is incredibly weird. It's also amazing. While not quite as strong as their debut album, Kick Up The Fire And Let The Flames Break Loose is an extremly confident record which is happy to experiment and self indulge and still be very listenable. The Cooper Temple Clause combine elements of electronica, hardcore and staight forward rock, and then mix in a slight amount of prog to make something very different. Opener 'The Same Mistakes' starts with a subtle yet eerie string sample before a threatening bass enters, then the song slowly builds up up til it explodes with reverd and delay ridden guitars. 'Promises Promises' is an incredibly heavy number with thunderous drums and metallic guitars. elsewhere on tracks like 'A.I.M.' and 'Written Apology' they let their electronics take the front row and make amazing soundscapes with rock ndertones abounding. The music is faultless on this album.

The lyrics can be hit and miss on this album. some songs have great lyrics though like 'Promises Promises' scathing of reocrd labels not living up to expectations, and 'In Your Primes' stalker overtones. 'Blind Pilots' deals with the end of a relationship and compares it to a plane crash, while 'In My Arms' is a simple love song (albeit one that ends with screeching white noise and and a techno workout). But tracks like 'Talking To A Brick Wall' have pointless ereverlent lyrics which makes no sense and just seem disjointed and confusing. Singer Ben Gaultry has a great raw voice though which adds to the hrashness of the record.

It's not quite as brilliant as 'See This Through And Leave' but this album shows The Cooper Temple Clause are very talented musicians who can blend rock and electronica together and make something totally unigue. standout tracks include 'The Same Mistakes', 'Promises Promises', 'New Toys', 'Blind Pilots', 'A.I.M.' and 'Written Apology'. I love the fact the band are brave enough to push their own boundaries and create somthing unigue, but sadly I find some lyrics let it down. Overall though, it's essential.